Thread: Yorkshire Dales fell running routes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yorkshire Dales fell running routes

Okay, taking the lead from JohnK, this thread is my (quite probably forlorn ) attempt to start a new and positive fell running topic.

A bit of back story: I moved up from the deep south to North Yorkshire in 1997 and, for the first ten years lived in (the now seen as the grand metropolis of) Skipton, moving from there to Settle in 2007 and from there to Horton-in-Ribblesdale in 2014. So I was on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park from the start and have gradually creeped closer and closer to its heart of darkness ever since.

And right from the off, only ever having really run in the wild woods of the chiltern hills before, I started my evolution into a fell runner. Impossible to do nowadays but my very first fell race ever, I think in 2007 when I would have been 51 years young, was the 3 peaks. I ran out of my skin on a very hot day but completely died a death, face down in a beck, just before the road and the finish. I would've been on for a commendable 4:20 finish I think but ended up staggering over the line line in something nearer 4:50, completely dehydrated and racked by cramps all over my body. I'd like to think things have improved since then....

But getting back to the point of the thread. Living where I do, I see a lot of runners rocking up to run the three peaks or maybe the bog standard loop of Penyghent but, outside of that, its mainly us locals that run around the place properly. Over the years I've collected a massive route library, not just locally hereabouts but all over the Dales. So my plan is to reasonably regularly post a running route from my library with a OS map view included, for anyone interested in giving some great and perhaps less well trod routes a bash. I'm not saying I won't post routes over Penyghent, my favourite hill in the world, but I'll look to post less well known versions

I was just going to post my first route but now have to leave to have my second covid jab. I'll post later touch wood. To set the scene this though is my strava heat map of running routes in the just my local corner of the Dales since 2012 so there's a lot to go at

Last edited by Fellbeast; 14-05-2021 at 02:01 PM.