Thread: You're all gonna die . . .

You're all gonna die . . .

As you get older, you get forgetful.
    I forgot to pre-enter the Coniston Gullies race because I thought it was EOD, which was naive considering the current Covid situation.
    So, I've found myself on a 'waiting list' of unknown length.

Do you really want to risk your teeth/forearms/legs/life on such a short race ?
    Mummy's lickey hankie won't mend you if you take a tumble.
    So do the descent thing. Withdraw your entry.
    You know it makes sense.
    Nobody will know, and you can enter some other 'trail' sort of fell race and still tell your mates you're a fell runner.
    Alternately, rock up and give your ego a good beating.

Your family love you.
    Do the sensible thing.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
    So do the descent thing. Withdraw your entry.
    Surely the problem is people doing the descent thing when they ought to be doing the decent thing?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I don't know what category you run in Grubby, but as a V40 i play the long game because i'd like to make it to V50 with my knees still intact. I'd say the older you are the more short term you need to think.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

V60, so it's a very short game for me. I've had my 2.4 kids, so my gonads can be fully committed to leaving stud marks on the back of anyone in front. However, as a horrible climb generally precedes a wonderful descent, there is usually more than half the field in front of me. A combination of bloodimindedness, stupidity, a modicum of skill(?) and much scary verbal abusing of 'youngsters' in front of me sometimes puts me back where my ego always thinks it should be - the top third of the field.It helps if there's a navigational element and 90% of the field get lost. This only usually happens if Christmas, my birthday and a blue moon coincide.