Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY drilling a water well...

Black gold, Texas Tea. The Bavaria Hillbillies.

I know, Gambatte probably doesn't live in Bavaria, but other regions of Germany are even more dissimilar in name to "Beverley"

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Fracking well [sic] Graham, that's a bit harsh even by my standards
    Actually I support fracking. Not near Ilkley (obviously!) but anywhere else.

But then when I pass an oil refinery my heart beats faster because they are sooo gorgeous.

I was on holiday in Texas a couple of years ago. It was one refinery after another. I must find my holiday snaps.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Actually I support fracking. Not near Ilkley (obviously!) but anywhere else.

But then when I pass an oil refinery my heart beats faster because they are sooo gorgeous.

I was on holiday in Texas a couple of years ago. It was one refinery after another. I must find my holiday snaps.
    I've worked on a couple of Oil Terminals (terminals are the storage sites with all the cylindrical towers, as opposed to refinery where the manufacture takes place)

The BP one was most impressive, about a dozen towers around 70ft in height, and numerous other smaller tanks and plant. Huge diameter pipework. Used to travel round the site on a van. Served by the underground pipeline from Stanlow.

The Murco Petroleum site i worked at was smaller, but was even more interesting as the fuel was delivered on huge freight trains which i would connect up to our pipeline system. Twice a week trains coming from Milford Haven, Teeside, etc...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Oil refineries, Stanlow . . . brings back memories of one day when I was 18.

I had taken the Dublin-Liverpool ferry after my first cycling visit to Ireland, and was then cycling home (which was in Bedfordshire at that time). I had decided (on no evidence whatsoever) that the Wirral would be less unpleasant to cycle through than Liverpool and its suburbs, so I took the ferry across the Mersey. As I proceeded southward through Birkenhead, Bebington and the endless dull suburbs to Ellesmere Port, my mental state drifted downward into a state of depression.

I was using a road map at a scale of 1/4-inch to a mile, which didn't show trivia such as oil refineries. There was a public road through the middle of the Stanlow complex, which was shown on the map as a minor road through open country; so suitable for cycling. By the time I emerged at the eastern end of the road, I was convinced that I had seen Hell itself.

My spirits did eventually lift as I passed through Delamere Forest, and realised that there was still beauty on earth.

As well as not showing man-made obstructions, the map also gave no indication of topography. But what happened as I proceeded eastwards from Congleton is another story.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    There was a public road through the middle of the Stanlow ...(and by) the time I emerged at the eastern end of the road, I was convinced that I had seen Hell itself.
    Oh Anthony! To be in charge of a huge high pressure, high temperature,forest of stainless steel columns and venting stacks and pipes with a hundred pulsing, roaring motors, pumps and fans - in the middle of the night when only 22 years, is to feel you are the king of the world.

If you like that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 16-06-2021 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    These all seem good points to me (just a simple engineer).
    I thought you were a HR manager?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I thought you were a HR manager?
    I have an engineering degree and became Chartered when working for British Gas plc. but I then moved to HR (primarily Industrial Relations) for many years and then finally into Organisation Development/Corporate Restructuring.

But I have always retained an interest in "energy issues".