Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2022-23

Cross Country 2022-23

Anyone else looking forward to the cross country season?

I know there will be one or two of us in regular action in Birmingham/Midlands area.

Personally just hoping to see slight improvement on last year and improve my best league position. Last year upped it from outside the top 150 to 136th, could i push on and make the top 120 or beyond...

Awaiting the announcement of the venue for the National in February, i believe that Harewood in Leeds is now out...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Anyone else looking forward to the cross country season?
    I do the KWL, much more fun.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Shall be doing a few XCs this winter, but not as many as usual due to various reasons: fell races, too much travel, daughter racing xc at different venues, but primarily due to knackered knees and ankles. So I'll be getting closer to 100 Birmingham Leagues slower!

National venue confirmed as Bolesworth Castle nr Wrexham/Chester/Crewe.... always good to race at a new venue!

British Masters Relays today at Long Eaton.

1st Tipton Harriers
    2nd Salford Harriers
    3rd Long Eaton

We came in 11th in the 35's-45's category.

A satisfactory 11:18 for me.... going through the 3km mark in 10:53. Was around 35secs behind the couple of faster guys in our team, which is probably better than expected.

I was on 2nd leg, and thought it was going to be a grim leg when Sale Harriers came steaming past me after about 200metres, but in the end i gained a place overall.

Hello to GazB, see you at another fixture soon!

Possibly another run out next week for me at Mansfield in the National XC Relays.

National XC Relays today at the traditional venue of Berry Park in Mansfield.

Ran 2nd leg for an incomplete B team. 20:13 which was a mere 5 seconds quicker than last year. Although not overly worried about the time, it was a "no pressure" run, and my legs weren't feeling entirely fresh anyway.

Went well enough, 10mins dead for the first lap, and 10:13 for the 2nd.

Unfortunately our A team suffered a cockup at the Leg 1-2 changeover, losing about 2 and a half minutes due to not being able to spot the incoming runner in the inadequate changeover pen.... i was most surprised to be 400mtrs into my leg and our A runner came bowling past me like a man possessed! Not that it made much difference as even without that hiccup we'd have only been looking at about top 60 today.... as it was they finished 71st.

1 Leeds City
    2 Cambridge & Coleridge
    3 Aldershot Farnham & District
    4 Tonbridge AC

First League fixture today at Crewe.... a bumper turnout from our club with 30 on the start line.

Ran the "10km" (i suspect it was a good 500mtrs short) in 37:20 which was 55secs quicker than last year... yet despite that finished one place lower (168th)

So either conditions were much more favourable this year, or the standard seems to have risen again... perhaps a bit of both.

Good day for our first team (5th).... i was 11th counter so got into our B team, and also 3rd counter in the new Masters League.

So a very satisfactory day.

Birmingham University once again looking to be the team to beat. Was a little surprised we beat the likes of Warwick Uni, Tipton Harriers, Rugby & Northampton.... but was also surprised how strong Birchfield Harriers were today... although early days... next one at Wolverhampton in three weeks.

2nd league fixture today on GazB's home turf of Aldersley Wolverhampton (didn't see you Gaz, i guess you weren't running).

A much flatter course than the previous fixture, but plenty of twists and turns, disused railway line section, made for a good course.

I felt good today and managed 153rd... i lost 3 places in the final 100 metres dash to the line which dropped me off-target for top 150.

Team were 7th on the day and stand 6th in total.... realistically we are fighting Tipton Harriers for 6th place.

I was final counter for our B team who stand 4th, and final counter in our Masters team who stand 5th.... so its nice to feel i'm contributing something to the team, even though i'm a good way off the top 6 who score for the A team (was 3 minutes behind our 6th counter today)

County champs next weekend at a new venue. Not a massive priority for me although i'll race and give it my all, i think we might have a shot at the team prize if we get a strong team out and can match Birchfield Harriers.
    Last edited by Travs; 03-12-2022 at 07:08 PM.

Good effort Travs. Nah, I have been ill this last week since a trot round Sefton Park xc last weekend. My W&B had a good day today, even beating Loughborough (severely weakened admittedly). Should be there for Warley Woods. Staffs is the Saturday before that one

Yes there was a big University relay at Leeds yesterday, which probably explains Loughborough's below-par showing. We stand above them in the league but I expect that to be redressed next time round.

Birmingham Uni had a few missing but still strong enough to win. They're unstoppable at the moment. Warwick Uni ran to their potential yesterday as well.
    Last edited by Travs; 04-12-2022 at 02:06 PM.