Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    So long ago I had to think about it. It was 1989 wasn't it Graham?
    Yes. But not many people know that.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

To try and illustrate how different it was, the 1969 race (won by Merckx) had 26 stages, with 3 days with two stages. The 1970 race, also won by Merckx, had 29 stages with 6 two-stage days. Both editions had zero rest days, so racing every day for 23 days
    They must have had some very good nutritionists back then.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    They must have had some very good nutritionists back then.
    The fags didn't seem to do him any harm either!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Was a good stage to watch today.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Was a good stage to watch today.
    It was. Sepp Kuss is lovely. Although when he started thanking his parents and his girl friend and his girl friend's family... I thought I'd tuned into the Oscars.

One drama queen with Cavendish is more than enough for me.

Cavendish is a different bloke this Tour - Long may he stay like that!!

So long ago I had to think about it. It was 1989 wasn't it Graham?
    Thinking of Lemond but 1986 - in Sean Yates' autobiography he recounts Hinault's behaviour on the Tourmalet stage in getting 10 minutes ahead of Lemond - whom he was supposed to be supporting - before blowing up. Yates wrote that if you look up hubris in an encyclopoedia you will see a picture of Hinault in 1986.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 12-07-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Thinking of Lemond but 1986 - in Sean Yates' autobiography he recounts Hinault's behaviour on the Tourmalet stage in getting 10 minutes ahead of Lemond - whom he was supposed to be supporting - before blowing up. Yates wrote that if you look up hubris in an encyclopoedia you will see a picture of Hinault in 1986.
    I had to look up what hubris meant - I do learn a lot on here

I've read Sean Yates' autobiography, but I can't remember this detail. In fact the only thing I can remember clearly from his book was his maximum career speed - 71mph down the Côte de Laffrey.

Back to the race; they'll be going up the Tourmalet (a HC climb) on the way to the finish at Luz Ardiden (another HC climb) on Thursday. I think this will pretty much finalise positions in the race, both in the yellow and green jersey competitions; if Cav can finish within the time limit on Thursday he should make it to Paris

[QUOTE=Marco;674954]

I've read Sean Yates' autobiography, but I can't remember this detail. In fact the only thing I can remember clearly from his book was his maximum career speed - 71mph down the Côte de Laffrey.

I reached my maximum career speed of 50.3 mph yesterday evening whilst dropping into the Goyt Valley.

Totally unplanned and I shan't be aiming to beat it any time soon.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 12-07-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I had to look up what hubris meant - I do learn a lot on here

Back to the race; they'll be going up the Tourmalet (a HC climb) on the way to the finish at Luz Ardiden (another HC climb) on Thursday. I think this will pretty much finalise positions in the race, both in the yellow and green jersey competitions; if Cav can finish within the time limit on Thursday he should make it to Paris

You might remember the DS of Fagor initially rejecting Yates for the team with Yattez? Il ne passe un pont! which Yates translates as Yates. He can't climb a bridge!

One year I was watching part way up Luz Ardiden and when the bulk of the riders had gone past thousands of spectators started streaming down the single narrow road while the tail-enders were still on the climb, having to dodge pedestrians all over the road.

And I remember thinking what a grim life it is for the rank and file domestique.