Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which shoe at Wimbledon?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Which shoe at Wimbledon?

Many of the world's leading tennis players have been sliding around on damp grass at Wimbledon, in some cases leading to injury. It's time for Matt Bland to take his vanload of Walsh PBs further south than it has ever been before, to offer the tennis players some shoes that will actually grip on this surface.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

This needs to go on a Tennis FB site, they are probably all asking the same question (along with what is the best racket, are my balls too squigy, which waterproofs if it looks like rain etc.).
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    This needs to go on a Tennis FB site, they are probably all asking the same question (along with what is the best racket, are my balls too squigy, which waterproofs if it looks like rain etc.).
    I have already mentioned to my wife (tennis player and Wimbledon watcher) that they should wear fell-running shoes in these conditions. As for waterproofs, my jacket (with taped seams, conforming to FRA requirements) is frequently borrowed by my wife for use on the tennis court. And regarding squigy balls, "No comment".
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Many of the world's leading tennis players have been sliding around on damp grass at Wimbledon, in some cases leading to injury. It's time for Matt Bland to take his vanload of Walsh PBs further south than it has ever been before, to offer the tennis players some shoes that will actually grip on this surface.
    Good grip will of course tear up the grass. There are presumably rules limiting shoe choice to prevent this from happening.

They all wear those horrible looking clumpy shoes that look like they weigh a ton. Never understood tennis shoes.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

That's very deep Luke

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Never understood tennis shoes.

Well, i think i understand women better than tennis shoes, i know that women want to hurt me, and thats about all i need to know.

I reckon a pair of PB Racers with the studs shaved down to about 3mm would be perfect, and weighing in at about half of a tennis clog who could argue? Tennis players are quite rich, though, so maybe flog them a pair of F-Lites too.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I have a vision of Murray, Federer etc. sitting in their chairs during a break in play, whittling away at their (PB racer) studs with a penknife. Accompanied by knowledgeable commentator: "Cloud cover reducing and I see the barometric pressure has risen slightly, they are shaving another millimeter off their studs as the grass stabilises - oooh a gamble there from Federer as he takes a chunk out the forward studs on his serving foot".
    And so on 😂.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Moley...the Andrew Cotter of tennis commentating! Priceless mate! What were you on, lagavulin??😄♥️♥️

Might have been Glenlivet, not sure but it put me in silly mode as usual 😁.