Thread: Shoes for hallux rigidus

Shoes for hallux rigidus

Wondering if anyone has any advice - I've got arthritis in my big toe, which isn't that bad, but needs stiff shoes to reduce movement at the joint (particularly when climbing).

Anyone got any fell/trail shoe recommendations that are on the stiffer side - I appreciate that this means giving up a lot of 'feel', but needs must...

Ferg

I found more miles quite rigid (they don't last long, but they are pleasingly cheap). Inov-8s say they're designed to flex, so not them.

If you can find a pair, then Mizuno Wave Harriers would do the trick.

Unfortunately they don't make them anymore
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

After the success of road shoes with carbon/nylon plates in the midsole, then some trail shoes with a plate have started to appear - the plate will make the forefoot pretty rigid.
    The main ones I can think of at the moment are the North Face Vectiv series, but there may be others.

Currently wearing some TNF vectivs, and they seem to do the job of immobilising the joint well for everyday wear, although still flares up a bit after a run. Definitely better than continuing without a plate.

Thanks for the tip,

Ferg

I was wondering how the TNF Vectivs are going in the longer term? I also suffer from Hallux Rigidus and haven't really run in the fells much since it got worse. The last time I did - Saunders a couple of years ago - was fairly painful. I am pondering what option to go for. For road running I wear Altras and those seem fine - perhaps as I don't run very fast these days so don't need to tilt my foot much in the toe-off phase. Unfortunately trail Altras have a very weedy grip.