Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gareth

There's no doubt England were fortunate to reach the final... nearly all matches at home, and landed on the good side of the draw. I doubt they'd have made the final from the other side of the draw, but i think they were solid enough to deserve a place in the final, we were the best side in our half of the draw by a distance.

But just came up against a better side. It's all well and good saying we were too negative, but Italy controlled the game and wouldn't allow us to play. Look when Grealish came on, barely had a touch.

Italy were the best side in the tournament and deservedly won.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post

It is a shame some of the commentators still think that penalties are not a good way to decide the outcome - it is one of the best sporting spectacles there is...
    Because the game overran it was the only part of the match I watched! Shoot-outs have a determining purity and also illustrate how ridiculous sport can be. Wonderful theatre!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

That was the first game of football I have ever watched in it's entirity on TV (I felt I should make an effort). Like watching paint dry, the best bit by far was the shoot out at the end, there should be more of that and less of aimlessly kicking the ball one end to the other.
    Now back to the tdf and some lovely scenery - except it's a rest day 🙁.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    That was the first game of football I have ever watched in it's entirity on TV (I felt I should make an effort). Like watching paint dry, the best bit by far was the shoot out at the end, there should be more of that and less of aimlessly kicking the ball one end to the other.
    I am thinking back to the days when I took an interest in football, which is a Very Long Time Ago; so long ago that they resolved things properly when teams were still drawn after Extra Time.

I supported Chelsea, and I watched (on television) all four hours of the 1970 FA Cup Final against Leeds United. Two hours (including Extra Time) of a 2-2 draw, and two hours of the replay, which ended as 2-1 after Extra Time.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I rarely watch football, but watched the last 3 England games. That probably accounts for why I'm so out of touch with the game and it's rules, but I was astonished to hear in each of the games that the fellah who came on in the last 15 to 20 mins of the matches (with the alice band) was always introduced by the pundits as "the most fouled player in the premier league" as if that was to his credit. But apparently it is! His lauded 'skill' is to extricate lots free kicks from the opponents. [slow shake of the head, mutter, 'whats the world comin' too', etc.).
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I rarely watch football, but watched the last 3 England games. That probably accounts for why I'm so out of touch with the game and it's rules, but I was astonished to hear in each of the games that the fellah who came on in the last 15 to 20 mins of the matches (with the alice band) was always introduced by the pundits as "the most fouled player in the premier league" as if that was to his credit. But apparently it is! His lauded 'skill' is to extricate lots free kicks from the opponents. [slow shake of the head, mutter, 'whats the world comin' too', etc.).
    Regarding fouls: I just googled the 1970 FA Cup Final (mentioned above), and found that it has been described as "The most brutal game in English football history". https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192 They were tough in those days.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

The "battle of Santiago" in 1962 was the one for brutal and vicious behaviour.

Interestingly enough, also involved Italy...

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    We have no evidence of that Noel.

You should have done a prediction thread
    I think France will win the 2018 world cup too. You heard it hear first.