Thread: 24th July

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

24th July

Turnslack looked a good option for 24th July. One of the tougher South Pennine races, close to the limit of what my current fitness level will allow, and easy to travel to (about a mile from a railway station with a good service).

But now another option has appeared: Arenig Fawr has been moved to the same date. Nominally the same distance as Turnslack, but the bogs are of a squelchiness that even Kevan Shand's corner of the South Pennines can't match, and it has excellent opportunities for navigational blunders. And very awkward to travel to (especially now that I have found that the Conwy Valley railway service has been decimated), so requires me to persuade my wife that she won't mind me disappearing into the Welsh wilderness for a few days.

Hmmm....
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Arenig Fawr is superb.

There is also Brecon Beacons on that date this year (or is it the sunday, i'm not sure). I believe it's clockwise this year which in my view is the best direction.

I'll be at the Old Crown Round.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I've made my decision. Accommodation has been booked at Bala Backpackers' Hostel. Train ticket has been booked to Morfa Mawddach (station chosen to minimise climbing on the cycle ride to Bala the day before the race). Wife has said her piece about "You must be crazy, still doing this at your age". [Note: of the 20 entries for Arenig Fawr so far, 8 are M/W60 or older, including a couple who were members of Cambridge University Orienteering Club at the same time as me, 40 years ago.]

My only worry now is the weather. It's getting hotter. You can protect yourself from rain and cold, but there isn't much you can do to shield yourself from the heat. And while there is plenty of water in that bog between Arenig Fawr and Moel Llyfnant, I don't fancy drinking it; I may just have to carry some.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges