Thread: Hb21

Hb21

Looks fun.

I don't really do champs races, but this one looks like such a smashing route i'm in. May potentially be lacking in route choice.

7m/3100' in proper money.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 18-07-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

A great race today in Dufton for the British Champs.

I must admit when i first saw the route i was a bit underwhelmed, thinking they could've come up with something better that went up onto the main Pennine ridge. however i'll eat my words, it was a fantastic and testing route.... 4 tough climbs, 4 descents, of which two were very tricky indeed.

Hit the top of the first climb, 18mins in, in 80th position, and over the course of the next hour or so, dropped to finish 95th, which given the technicality of some of the descents, i was over the moon with, having never previously managed top 150 in an English/British Champs race, let alone top 100. Unlike Anthony in the Longshaw race thread, i was pleased that the final finish field reared uphill as it allowed me to pick up two places which i'd not have got had it been a downhill finish!

Although i'm looking towards next year and the potential for scoring champs points as a v40.... and today i'd have missed out on that by 3 places and about 90secs, so still improvement required over the winter.

Another positive was being 5th counter for Eden as we finished 5th team, ahead of some illustrious club names.

Saw a few forum names on the start list, but only recall seeing croberts, always out of reach in front!

Pete
    Last edited by Travs; 04-09-2021 at 05:36 PM.

Think I passed you on the first climb, assumed you would be not far behind and thought you might come past me up one of the climbs.

Probably a bit too much straight up and straight down for me, prefer some ridge running thrown in as well. I've been training for longer stuff this year so the course didnt really suit me. I was also struggling with a blister that slowed my descending which is where I usually make up time for my below par climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Croberts View Post
    Think I passed you on the first climb, assumed you would be not far behind and thought you might come past me up one of the climbs.

Probably a bit too much straight up and straight down for me, prefer some ridge running thrown in as well. I've been training for longer stuff this year so the course didnt really suit me. I was also struggling with a blister that slowed my descending which is where I usually make up time for my below par climbing.
    Well done Chris...

I didn't really start catching people on the climbs until the 4th and final climb... perhaps another lap of the course and i'd have started picking up places! Though a look at the splits and you murdered me on the descents, so i doubt i'd have ever caught you up!

I also picked up a nasty blood-blister on my heel, got some scree in my shoe from the 2nd descent... it made for a very painful final half hour.

Hannah Horsburgh looks to have had an amazing run. There are some big names with egg on their faces there.

It's pretty rough country round there, Travs. I was thinking it was one of Morgan's own training routes personally.

I was certainly not denigrating the area... i train over there by myself and on club runs...

I think it just appeared (initially) a bit of an anti-climax as it seemed from talking to people that everyone thought the Champs race would be the Grisedale Horseshoe, which i'm sure most agree is one of the best routes in the country.

But as i say, i've happily had to eat my words, it was a fantastic course at Dufton.

Bravo Morgan for putting the race on, i say. How many of the top runners could get round Grisedale blindfolded? They need taking out of their comfort zone, a lot of the champs races get repeated because of parking issues so it gets easier and easier.

Master
    Even though I was not doing the race, I did several recces of the Grisedale route as I like it - or most of it - so much - unfortunately for those taking part it was shortened on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Even though I was not doing the race, I did several recces of the Grisedale route as I like it - or most of it - so much - unfortunately for those taking part it was shortened on the day.
    Why was Grisedale shortened Mike...?

Weather was pretty tame at Dufton...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Why was Grisedale shortened Mike...?

Weather was pretty tame at Dufton...
    I understand there were concerns about erosion, but I do not know why these only came to light so late in the day. The St Sunday Crag section was left out altogether.