Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Today's politics

I was close to a girl who had spent time living in Switzerland (Geneva), and she told me about some very baffling rules and regulations over there...

There was something about putting your rubbish bins out at exactly the correct day (or time, or location, i can't quite remember the specifics), and any deviation from this would likely lead to immediate prosecution.

There were some other things, but that was the one which stuck in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

There was something about putting your rubbish bins out at exactly the correct day (or time, or location, i can't quite remember the specifics), and any deviation from this would likely lead to immediate prosecution.
    Bit like Grove Road in Ilkley then.

Which reminds me; one fine day the dustbin lorry reversed into our expensive electric gates - the lorry won.

The driver denied it of course: but the video camera on the back of the lorry recording everything didn't lie
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I was close to a girl who had spent time living in Switzerland (Geneva), and she told me about some very baffling rules and regulations over there...

There were some other things, but that was the one which stuck in my mind.
    Yes, it's a very regimented society. I've known a few people who have moved to Switzerland with work. Initially they have found the various rules very jarring, but then got used to it and appreciated how things seem to work much better.

It makes me wonder if that model could be applied to other countries. But I'm not sure what's cause and what's effect. Are they agreeable and public spirited because they have these laws or the other way around? Certainly if you tried to instigate some of these laws in the UK, people would take to the streets!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    In the years following independence in Singapore, Lee Kwan Yew and his associates regarded Switzerland as a good model for how a country could be run. There's a joke in Singapore that "It's a fine country": because you will get a fine of $500 for crossing the road in the wrong place, eating on a train, and other trivial offences.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    One thing that always seems to come to the fore is the fact that people expect politicians and well embedded advisors like DC to be honest and professional. I don't expect that at all, which is why none of them ever disappoint me.
    I missed it as well. Very busy lately fitting work in between short breaks away.

I don't expect them to be honest and professional either. I've become used to politicians generally ducking straight answers, and being evasive. Maybe avoiding the accusation of a lie by the skin of their teeth at times.
    We don't usually hear the advisors though, at least until they've gone and then pop up as pundits on QT or writers in the papers such as Nick Timothy, Campbell, Steve Hilton...

I'd describe Cummings as different.

I've not seen any reason to say he is dishonest, although I do disagree with him on certain issues, I believe him to hold his views honestly.
    In fact he has won his battles with the Electoral Commission and journos that have pointed the accusatory finger at him.

He was correct to call Hancock a liar, as he showed himself to be soon after Cummings described him as such.

I think he is also correct to describe many at the top of Government in which he included himself, as out of their depth.
    Would you appoint BJ as CEO of M&S?
    How about Priti Patel running BAE Systems?

I've felt for sometime the calibre of people in the Commons is at the lowest it has been in my lifetime.

So I believe him to be honest and the question I suppose is, should he divulge this information. Is he breaking trust, ethics, professional lines.

This is politics. He's been briefed against as well. Politics is full of anonymous briefings and leaks. I find it preferable that someone comes out and says it publicly whether in the Select Committee or in an interview. At least then there is something to scrutinise and challenge.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

undercover moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Which reminds me; one fine day the dustbin lorry reversed into our expensive electric gates - the lorry won.
    A little disappointing, I'd always assumed you would have a moat, Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Bit like Grove Road in Ilkley then.
    Putting the correct bin out at the earliest opportunity is a great pleasure for many people

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    Putting the correct bin out at the earliest opportunity is a great pleasure for many people
    Absolutely!

And when I, in my reflective moments, look back at my career and pastimes and all I have achieved, I contemplate that all my triumphs, my achievements, the glory and honours of the past have led inexorably to my now being responsible for putting the bins out on time to bring joy and comfort to the lives of my fellow apartment dwellers. {This did mean the loss of the moat but the risk of my tumbling from the drawbridge after a bottle or two of fine claret on a dark winter night failed our rigorous risk assessment protocol}.

As I rest from my herculean labours I sometimes ponder if there might be a Knighhood in train for my services and the apogee of my life's work which, as my ultimate destiny, is well...almost Shakepearean.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-07-2021 at 09:37 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".