Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: todays gardening / allotment

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    In warmer climes, figs will fruit twice a year. Here in central England we can usually manage one harvest in late summer but the embryonic fruit left after that are best picked off as they will never ripen. We grow 'Brown Turkey' which is especially suited to the UK climate and usually reliable but this year it has struggled. I have masses of green fruit and I'm sure if August had been warmer it would have ripened just as well as last year. I have read that lack of water can also affect the crop and it has been relatively dry for weeks now and that may have had an effect. Now with temperatures dropping and days shortening, I think I'll just cut my losses and strip the tree of fruit and hope that provokes a suitable response for next year. A pity but we have had a good apple harvest this year (even though we lost a tree over the winter) whereas a late frost last year left us with very little. Swings and roundabouts you might say...
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

The 1st of December, 800 feet above sea level and already the daffodil spears are popping up and saying hello!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

A week of heavy frosts looks like (at last!) it's preparing the bumper crop of carrots and parsnips quite nicely. Yummmmmmmy
    Am Yisrael Chai