Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: colonoscopy

colonoscopy

Next year I turn 50 and I was suggested to have one.
    I'd like to lower the chances that my wife becomes a widow, and daughter an orphan, earlier than necessary, so I'll go for one.
    But it doesn't sound much fun.

Comment anyone?
    You had it done?
    Or maybe you it's part of you job doing it to others?

I had bowel cancer about 5 years ago now, thought it was irritable bowel at first till I started passing blood. Had a colonoscopy within 2 days of seeing doctor. Quite novel seeing inside your body but saw my tumor, a big white thing nearly filling the intestine.
    Now free of cancer I have a colonoscophy one a year, not too bad really.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    I'd like to lower the chances that my wife becomes a widow, and daughter an orphan, earlier than necessary, so I'll go for one.

Comment anyone?
    You had it done?
    I'm surprised you have been advised to go straight to a colonoscopy. In the NHS here the standard practice appears to be to invite everyone between ages 60 and 75 to send in a sample of faeces every two years (I did my last one two weeks ago), and only if the analysis of that yields cause for concern are they invited for a colonoscopy.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I'm surprised you have been advised to go straight to a colonoscopy. In the NHS here the standard practice appears to be to invite everyone between ages 60 and 75 to send in a sample of faeces every two years (I did my last one two weeks ago), and only if the analysis of that yields cause for concern are they invited for a colonoscopy.
    In Scotland the NHS stool sample starts at 50 not 60, then every 2 years same as Englend/Wales, not sure about NI

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post

Comment anyone?
    You had it done?
    "....was suggested..." by who and on the basis of what symptoms?

I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy when I had symptons that suggested I might have cancer - but not because I had had a 50th birthday.

Incidentally my younger brother died as a result of a cancerous colon.

As to the procedure itself - the enjoyment or not rather depends on the degree of anaesthesia. If you have a general you will be oblivious - although you might enjoy the colonic irrigation beforehand. Princess Diana used to have them regularly - it was the fashion amongst the refined ladies of Chelsea - and you do feel refreshingly unburdened afterwards.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-12-2022 at 06:18 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

- .........although you might enjoy the colonic irrigation beforehand. Princess Diana used to have them regularly - it was the fashion amongst the refined ladies of Chelsea - and you do feel refreshingly unburdened afterwards.

You might have sorted out a Christmas present dilema for me
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I remember Phil Jupitus trying colonic irrigation as part of the radio show I've never seen starwars. He gave it 10 out of 10.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I remember Phil Jupitus trying colonic irrigation as part of the radio show I've never seen starwars. He gave it 10 out of 10.
    Well, I've never seen Star Wars, but I don't think that's a reason to subject myself to colonic irrigation.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    - .........although you might enjoy the colonic irrigation beforehand. Princess Diana used to have them regularly - it was the fashion amongst the refined ladies of Chelsea - and you do feel refreshingly unburdened afterwards.

You might have sorted out a Christmas present dilema for me
    Believe me you haven't lived until you've experienced...

I once had a CT scan (or something) after they injected a dye (or something) into my veins to record the blood flowing through my body (or something)...but enough of the precise but boring details.

I felt a warmth sensuously spreading through the whole of my lower body (but inside of course, not like a hot bath) which I think may be akin to heroin. Anyway it was an exquisite feeling.

I'm not sure what the Doctors were checking me for but I do wish I could have the examination again. Just to double-check.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    In Scotland the NHS stool sample starts at 50 not 60, then every 2 years same as Englend/Wales, not sure about NI
    Well as a 56 yo in England, I did my first this year so that would indicate 55 is the earliest English age for screening.

And while we are on the subject, screening is of course what you should do before any diagnostic test. Carry out the least invasive test to determine whether you need to progress to a more detailed analysis. So in this case, a stool sample should be sufficient surely?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast