Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Back Race 2021

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I'm a fell runner so have never used poles. Simple as that. I have no underlying issues where their use might be required, and feel they're an unnecessary expense that would just get in the way (nearly had my eyes taken out a couple of times by people not knowing where the end of them was). Also mean you can't hold the map. And you look like a trail wonk
    Lol 😂 have to agree with ba-ba and "I'm a fell runner" and "you look like a trail wonk" are more than enough justification in my book

I'm a fell runner so have never used poles.
    Allow poles and you may as well condone sedan chairs.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I think scoffer banned poles from Borrowdale and when it comes to fell running I tend to be of the opinion that what Scoffer thinks is most likely correct.
    Ditto his stance on GPS: "if it gets you home safe then fine but I dont want anyone winning Borrowdale because of it", or words to that effect

I think scoffer banned poles from Borrowdale and when it comes to fell running I tend to be of the opinion that what Scoffer thinks is most likely correct.
    Yes.

Scoffer was on the FRA Committee for some years and he didn't say a lot but when he spoke everyone listened because he was regarded as the true voice of grassroots fell running.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

For a few races prior to them being banned I tried poles due to arthritis finally beginning to catch me out in my 60s. I made a point of keeping them packed away until the race thinned out a bit (didn't take too long that near the back!)I found them helpful during climbs but a bloody nuisance every time I wanted to navigate, eat or kit faff.

When I turned 60 I bought some poles - zimmer aids as I refer to them. I find them a great help going up long drags especially but have never bothered with them on the flat or downhill, then a ruddy nuiscance. I can't imagine doing a fell race with them and the way a lot of people use them (waving them all over the shop)I certainly wouldn't want them near me.

I've stopped running now but still use them on long walks as I also find they give me good upper body exercise which I need at my age, not just about going faster but better exercise for me. I also always carry them in my hand (fold up mountain king) and they very rarely go away, I'm used to carrying them and barely notice them.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Pole etiquette on the continent is (from my limited experience) more lacking than what I experienced during the DB. I did a 25km race in the Pyrenees foothills. Near the end we joined the back of the 12km race. Everyone in the 12km race had their poles out, mainly across the trail so it was very difficult to pass. I liked that the 3 hairy arsed brits that showed up in vest and bumbag placed 2/3/4 amongst the fully kitted out locals.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    I am a fellrunner and I have used poles for many years for anything over marathon distance and I am glad to say that compared too many other people I know I have sufferered a lot less injuries than them,and my knees and joints are still in good shape.
    Could be the poles or maybe luck but one thing is sure I reckon poles work for me, more advantages than disavantages as far as I am concerned.

Each to their own
    The older I get the Faster I was

Each to their own.

I don't think I would ever use poles on a fell race.

I did for the first time use poles on the Lakeland 100 (not in the early stages, obviously) and I think they helped me on the uphills and downhills. But that was a 30 hour run on trails where runners were obviously not bunched together, so it did not cause inconvenience to others.

I didn't use them on my BGR and probably wouldn't if I did it again (which I won't). I wouldn't use them on the Fellsman. But I probably would if I did another 100 mile trail race (which I probably won't).

Ben

Also - if anyone wants a laugh at real ultra trail excess and hilarity, may I suggest 'Highland Kings' to you? Sounds ideal if you want to spend £15k and spend time amongst a load of bell ends who think they are in the special services.
    £2 discount for UK Athletics affiliation?