Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Back Race 2021

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    ba-ba still going well (6th, I think), although he may be having trouble fighting his way through all the "Technical Safety" and "Media Team" people crowding along Crib Goch.

Edit: I think he is 8th. I have just noticed that there are two leaders way out ahead, already down from Snowdon.
    I picked him up on Crib Goch - surrounded by media teams, had to chuckle and hope he was smiling for the cameras. Though the opposite look is what they really want!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

The ba-ba doing well, lying 4th at end of day1. A few names missing from the leaderboard - looks like Scotney is out for one? Might have been a hot day up there?

If I'm reading the results correctly it appears that of the 90 that have either retired or been timed out only one, Steve Birkinshaw, made it beyond Crib Goch.

I reckon Moley will be spot on re the heat.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

The first year of the new Dragons Back 2012, was a very hot first day and it was carnage even by Ogwen, a lot of runners setting off with little water bottles not appreciating there was nowhere to fill up on the tops.
    No excuse for that now but even so heat will have been a factor. Set off too fast and all keen to race on first day, pay the price later. Wouldn't expect that from top runners though.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    The first year of the new Dragons Back 2012, was a very hot first day and it was carnage even by Ogwen, a lot of runners setting off with little water bottles not appreciating there was nowhere to fill up on the tops.
    No excuse for that now but even so heat will have been a factor. Set off too fast and all keen to race on first day, pay the price later. Wouldn't expect that from top runners though.
    My understanding now is that for the Dragon's Back, entries are no longer vetted... you just sign a disclaimer to say you're experienced on the fells and understand this isn't just another "ultra".

That, the apparent upscaling of the event capacity, and the huge media profile it has.... it's hardly surprising that so many ill-prepared people turn up.

That said, it's still a fantastic race and route.

I think it is very hard to suitably vet people, especially with so many overseas runners. But there is no excuse not to be prepared, the figures are blatantly obvious to anyone and so much info on the race is out there on internet (any idiot can do google earth or whatever to have a vague look). The organiser goes on the basis you pay your money and enter and we shall look after you to the best of our ability - due care etc. and try to give you an event to remember. Unfortunately there will always be those that fall by the wayside, for whatever reason.

I see old Llani Lenny is out sadly, but Ba Ba is tucked in the middle pack today. You start whatever time you like in the morning (within parameters) so running position is not necessarily where you are on the leaderboard.
    Could be an intriguing day with more casualties in the heat of the Rhinogs - I loved the Rhinogs but not for everyone!

Yes he is unfortunately. I don't know why but he did finish the Cape Wrath Ultra last month so perhaps a combination of that still in his legs and yesterdays heat took its toll. I'll ask him when I next see him. Oh, and he is 65!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Oh well, if he finished cape wrath he's had a good summer, take a while to recover for us oldies. I know I've met him but don't know him well. Paul Beeson from llani was in it till last week when his back went so never made it to the start.

Looks like more carnage out there with runners being taken back to base. Good to see many of yesterdays retirements are back running the 1/2 day (started at Cwm Bechan) as non competetive runners - gives them some days out in the scenery (welcome to the Rhinogs!!) which is good, not an entirely wasted trip.

Good to see Ba-ba taking some proper fell racing lines through the Rhinogs this afternoon. I hope this gains him some time. It's so much more interesting than the majority who follow the recommended track.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.