Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Back Race 2021

Ba-ba still in 4th overall.

Well over half the field out now... getting on for 2/3rds in fact.

I make it aprox 125 starters today and 245 out.
    The tent crew will be happy not having to put up all the tents!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

For those who have dropped out after 2 days a very expensive do at £599.50 per day!

At least they had some views!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 08-09-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Wonder what people think about the addition of a 6th day?

For me, it removes it too far from the original race. I appreciate that they've modified the 5th day so they can go over the Pen Y Fan range. But in that case surely they could have finished somewhere like Llanthony Abbey and then had a good 6th day on the Black Mountains range. Not being Welsh i can't really appreciate what it might mean to finish at Cardiff Castle, except for the fact they now go coast-to-coast, but like most "changes for the better", i'm not feeling it.

None of this detracts from what a tough and no doubt superb event it still is, of course.

Its probably the marketing/media men taking over and trying to make more money. The coast to coast and Castle to Castle thing is right up their street but as you say Trav's it detracts from the original concept.

The only problem that they might have this year is that the way things are going there will be more marketing and media men at Cardiff Castle than finishers!

Or maybe that is what they want so more people throw their money at them next year.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Most years it follows a similar theme... huge huge dropout in days 1 & 2, a few more on day 3, and only a handful on days 4 & 5. I'd predict 90-100 finishers this year.

Regards the extra day and possible routes, it isn't so much about the ideal route and finish as having a suitable venue for a finish.Logistics.
    At the finish there may be up to 400 runners (in a good year), 100+ helpers and family friends to cheer them in. Need to have a venue to give them a buffet, bar, prize giving, showers, toilets, overnight camping and parking. Plus nearby public transport to get some away in the morning.

The area around carreg cennan castle (llandeilo) has little, last 2 races used a disused secondary school - pretty scabby and wouldn't be surprised if it was bulldozed soon for redevelopment. Few years back I spent 2 days searching the large surrounding area for them and came up with nothing. So they have to go east and add another day. Black mountains would be great last day, but you still have to end somewhere (schools are the only likely big enough places) and gain usage out of term time?
    So Cardiff it is, and yes it is a better finish for sponsors with a history and backdrop. It is removed from the original, but doesn't seem to deter entrants who will mostly have no idea of that historic first race.

Plenty of the dnf runners are still out there every day doing 1/2 course, so not wasted. I hope to visit water point tomorrow and cheer the ba ba on when he comes through. Sure he will have some stories to tell when he arrives back.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Ba-ba still in 4th, consistent 4th each day... very impressive.

I'd be surprised if he caught Matt O'Keefe who is running into home territory and will surely know the best lines, but ba-ba is a very good navigator, and of course any of the current top three could drop.

And i'd be surprised if anyone outside the top 4 has the consistency to catch him...

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Race starts on Monday morning. Now 6 days, finishing at Cardiff Castle on Saturday.

Tracker here: https://live.opentracking.co.uk/dragonsbackrace2021/

I'm number 418 if at all interested.
    It's not really a race, is it? It's an executive running holiday. It's an event which allows execs an opportunity to say "When I was on the Dragon's Back race" at dinner parties. The complete lack of vetting for the so-called toughest blah blah is a bit of an indicator - the entry requirement is that you are well-off/stupid enough to pay that much. It's obviously tough and there will be a high drop-out rate,but the number of drop-outs on day one is a testament to how stupid, vain, underprepared, unqualified many of the field are.
    The rest of the running community needs to gave Dragon's back name-droppers the kudos they deserve. For most of them little, if any.
    Last edited by MarkL; 09-09-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    It's not really a race, is it? It's an executive running holiday. It's an event which allows execs an opportunity to say "When I was on the Dragon's Back race" at dinner parties. The complete lack of vetting for the so-called toughest blah blah is a bit of an indicator - the entry requirement is that you are well-off/stupid enough to pay that much. It's obviously tough and there will be a high drop-out rate,but the number of drop-outs on day one is a testament to how stupid, vain, underprepared, unqualified many of he field are.
    The rest of the running community needs to gave Dragon's back name-droppers the kudos they deserve. For most of them little, if any.