Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welsh 2000's

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Welsh 2000's

The current Dragon's Back race has got me musing: given that several people have done a complete traverse of the Scottish Munros as a single self-propelled round, why has no-one done the Welsh 2000's in the same style? Here's an outline of a possible route:-

Start at Llanddeusant, do the South Wales traverse from west to east; then from the Black Mountains to Radnor Forest, and if you manage to dodge the gunfire there, proceed west to Drygarn Fawr, then north to Pumlumon. Across the Dyfi to the Tarrens, Cadair Idris, Rhinogs, Moelwyns and Cnicht; then a clockwise Paddy Buckley round, extended to take in all the 2000-foot peaks omitted by the PBR (including a long run north along the Carneddau to Tal y Fan!). Leave the PBR near Blaenau Ffestiniog to go across Manod Mawr to the Arenigs, down to Rhobell Fawr and the Maesglase group, over the Arans and east along the Berwyns to finish in the Dee valley east of Corwen.

Have I missed anything?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Well, I've only got 10 2000' peaks left to do in wales, from about 235 (I'm using an obscure list). But for me this is a lifetimes work. To do them in a oner would be very hard work. Some of them are in very difficult pathless terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Well, I've only got 10 2000' peaks left to do in wales, from about 235 (I'm using an obscure list). But for me this is a lifetimes work. To do them in a oner would be very hard work. Some of them are in very difficult pathless terrain.
    Tremendous effort. I thought I was doing well having done the 168 listed in Bridges Tables. I might have to seek out the other 67!

Which are you saving for your last one?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Tremendous effort. I thought I was doing well having done the 168 listed in Bridges Tables. I might have to seek out the other 67!

Which are you saving for your last one?
    I'm using a list by Robert Jones in a book by Gwlad Publications of Llanwrst - now defunct, called " The 2000ft Summits of Wales" 1993. They have to have a prominance of around 15m which is why there are more than the other tables.
    I have 6 in the Moelwyns, 1 beyond Llywedd - Top of Gallt y Wenallt, 2 near Moel Hebog - Moel yr Ogof and Moel Lefn and I'm saving Mynydd Mawr for last.
    It's been a great jouney and taken me to parts of Wales I would have never visited. I started years ago as a youth when I lived in North Wales and then when we got a cottage in Llan - near Llanbrynmair I carried on visiting tops. Then I found this book and it motivated me to travel further afield to be a purerile ticker. Covid was tricky, but I managed to visit a lot of hills in the south on solo camping trips. This year has also been tricky due to family issues, but ran the Radnor Forest 4 recently. As I get older (64 now) the urgency to complete is more pressing. It's certainly improved my navigational skills and increase my map collection!
    When the Moelwyn Mawr day is in sight I will post on here for anyone to join me for a pissed up hill walk!

You've got a date!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    I'm using a list by Robert Jones in a book by Gwlad Publications of Llanwrst - now defunct, called " The 2000ft Summits of Wales" 1993. They have to have a prominance of around 15m which is why there are more than the other tables.
    I have 6 in the Moelwyns, 1 beyond Llywedd - Top of Gallt y Wenallt, 2 near Moel Hebog - Moel yr Ogof and Moel Lefn and I'm saving Mynydd Mawr for last.
    It's been a great jouney and taken me to parts of Wales I would have never visited. I started years ago as a youth when I lived in North Wales and then when we got a cottage in Llan - near Llanbrynmair I carried on visiting tops. Then I found this book and it motivated me to travel further afield to be a purerile ticker. Covid was tricky, but I managed to visit a lot of hills in the south on solo camping trips. This year has also been tricky due to family issues, but ran the Radnor Forest 4 recently. As I get older (64 now) the urgency to complete is more pressing. It's certainly improved my navigational skills and increase my map collection!
    When the Moelwyn Mawr day is in sight I will post on here for anyone to join me for a pissed up hill walk!
    But the Nuttall criterion is also 15 m and they only get 189 peaks? I could understand one or two discrepancies but this seem a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    But the Nuttall criterion is also 15 m and they only get 189 peaks? I could understand one or two discrepancies but this seem a lot.
    Don't ask me, It's the list I choose to follow and It's taken me to a fair few places that Nuttall baggers don't get too. On The journey I've ascended a couple of over 2000' peaks that are on no list, but should be.For example Foel Goch 613m at the Bala end of the Hirnants.
    Having just looked closer at the definition at the front of my list, its not 15m of reascent, it's any summit over 2000ft.

I saw somewhere recently that someone's taking on a continuous travers of 190 Welsh peaks from S to N. Afraid I can't remember his name or where I saw it though.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I saw somewhere recently that someone's taking on a continuous travers of 190 Welsh peaks from S to N. Afraid I can't remember his name or where I saw it though.
    Wii Renwick completed the 189, 2000 ft Welsh peaks today, took him 24 days

Well done Will

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-...mpaign=KARANGA

https://newsdaylight.com/2021/10/03/...9-welsh-peaks/
    Last edited by JohnK; 04-10-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Very fine effort. There was an article about him and this feat in Saturdays Guardian where he named some less well known peaks he liked. Radnor Forest, Moel Llyfnant,Y Garn - Rhinogydd (took me thre attempts to find a way up this)and Pumlumon. Good choices.