Thread: Combining a race and drinking

Combining a race and drinking

We are middle of the pack fell runners from the Isle of Man. Looking to plot a trip for a friends 40th birthday to slog over a few hills in a race, then retire to a great pub to enjoy the evening in. Does anyone have some good suggestions? Ideally in the Lakes but open to suggestions. Preferably a race in the first half of the year too.

Master
    If you guys are reasonably fit and able to navigate well if needed then this will give you a day out in the Lakes to make for a memorable 40th birthday:-

https://www.amblesideac.org.uk/races...s/great-lakes/

Includes the highest 2 peaks in the Lakes, not sure what the dates will be for next years race.

Then you dont`t have far to go to the old Dungeon Ghyll pub:-

https://thegoodpubguide.co.uk/pub/11...ngeon%20ghyll/
    Last edited by JohnK; 20-09-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

JohnK has probably ended the thread already with the best suggestion!

Fairfield Horseshoe in April/May gives you plenty of pub options in Ambleside area.
    Likewise Coledale Horseshoe from Braithwaite, very close to Keswick and its numerous pubs, not to mention Braithwaite itself.
    Coniston in April/May
    For 'lakeland classic' races, Buttermere/Ennerdale/Duddon all in early summer, but a little more isolated in terms of location/accommodation, but all with pubs quite near the finish line.

I guess it depends on what level of race you're after. Buttermere/Ennerdale/Great Lakes are tough undertakings.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxPlodder View Post
    We are middle of the pack fell runners from the Isle of Man. Looking to plot a trip for a friends 40th birthday to slog over a few hills in a race, then retire to a great pub to enjoy the evening in. Does anyone have some good suggestions? Ideally in the Lakes but open to suggestions. Preferably a race in the first half of the year too.
    Personally I would plump for Buttermere Sailbeck. In the first half of the year, probably the toughest AM there is and has a couple of pubs near the finish. Also easily accessible from Keswick or Cockermouth both of which have plenty of fine hostelries to while away the evening.

Duddon.
    Good race. Moneys worth for distance
    Cracking pub at the end with a fantastic stone-flagged floor
    Normally a good amount of people stay around for some music and a booze up.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I thought you were on about getting loaded and running a race. I do this regularly during the show season, and find the alcohol has a euphoric effect aswell as loading you up with calories. 2 pints is the max really. I had a cracking pint of Loweswater Gold before dark side of the combe, which had no detrimental effect.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent