Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keswick - Threlkeld Railway path

Master

Keswick - Threlkeld Railway path

After having a day out playing on Skiddaw and Blencthra yesterday I decided to use the old railway track back from Threlkeld to Keswick for the first time since they re-opened it, and yes if it is your thing they have made a good job of it it was good to see people with varying ability using it.

But for me the track has lost its character and given how busy it was and the tarmac underfoot and nice orderly signage etc I felt I could well have been on any old pathway alongside any river in any public park, anywhere in the country and in future I will continue to use the higher paths around Gategill Fell, Blencathra centre and Lattrig etc after playing on the tops and leave the old railway track to the masses.

Yes they have done a fine job on the railway path but as I say for me and I guess people like me they have destroyed its character.

What do others think?
    Last edited by JohnK; 13-10-2021 at 03:49 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    After having a day out playing on Skiddaw and Blencthra yesterday I decided to use the old railway track back from Threlkeld to Keswick for the first time since they re-opened it, and yes if it is your thing they have made a good job of it it was good to see people with varying ability using it.

But for me the track has lost its character and given how busy it was and the tarmac underfoot and nice orderly signage etc I felt I could well have been on any old pathway alongside any river in any public park, anywhere in the country and in future I will continue to use the higher paths around Gategill Fell, Blencathra centre and Lattrig etc after playing on the tops and leave the old railway track to the masses.

Yes they have done a fine job on the railway path but as I say for me and I guess people like me they have destroyed its character.
    I have explored quite a few old track beds in West Yorkshire (sometimes needing wellingtons) so I looked at the video and one can certainly see where the £300,000 went to reopen it!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Absolutely agree.
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I always enjoyed running and cycling along it pre storm Desmond and I'm really glad it is open again. The reopened tunnel under the A66 is great and far preferable to the steps and boardwalk that were there before. However the choice of surfacing is an unnecessary abomination.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    However the choice of surfacing is an unnecessary abomination.
    Maybe a better choice of surfacing would be ballast, concrete sleepers, and a couple of parallel steel rails 4ft 8.5ins apart.

One thing I still remember from my first visit to the Lake District was seeing a train waiting in Keswick station. Visitor numbers now are far greater than in 1968, and would certainly justify providing a rail service, not to mention the benefits to local residents.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Totally agree re a train service.

I expect the choice of surface is (quite obviously) to provide easy disabled access, which i expect was a condition of funding.

As long as they don't start concreting/tarmacing the paths up fells (didn't i read something about a plan of this nature for the path up Orrest Head?)

What do others think?
    I have used it several times after a run higher up and find it a nice change from the rougher stuff to run on at the end of my route. It provides a path that is proving to be very popular and getting folk out and about that may have not bothered before.
    As there are still alternatives to avoid it I can't see any problems and everyone is catered for.
    One step beyond.

Master
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Maybe a better choice of surfacing would be ballast, concrete sleepers, and a couple of parallel steel rails 4ft 8.5ins apart.

One thing I still remember from my first visit to the Lake District was seeing a train waiting in Keswick station. Visitor numbers now are far greater than in 1968, and would certainly justify providing a rail service, not to mention the benefits to local residents.

Here you go anthonykay/Travs :-

https://keswickreminder.co.uk/2020/0...ay-campaigner/

Join the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Totally agree re a train service.

I expect the choice of surface is (quite obviously) to provide easy disabled access, which i expect was a condition of funding.

As long as they don't start concreting/tarmacing the paths up fells (didn't i read something about a plan of this nature for the path up Orrest Head?)
    They used Elterwater stone on Orrest Head Travs:-

https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/cari...rea/orresthead
    Last edited by JohnK; 14-10-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Hopefully the steel is actually made in Britain rather than being shipped in from China or India where the ownership of British Steel actually lies nowadays.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Master
    [

Here you go anthonykay/Travs :-

https://keswickreminder.co.uk/2020/0...ay-campaigner/

Join the campaign.

They used Elterwater stone on Orrest Head Travs:-

https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/cari...rea/orresthead
    AAC train their juniors on that Orrest Head path in the winter months - it is a nice gravel surface, good for running on, and, if it is clear, the views from the top are superb as the sun is setting and when it is dark.
    Last edited by Mike T; 14-10-2021 at 06:55 PM.