Thread: Keswick - Threlkeld Railway path

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    [

Here you go anthonykay/Travs :-

https://keswickreminder.co.uk/2020/0...ay-campaigner/

Join the campaign.
    Yes, I'm aware of Cedric Martindale's campaign. I'm a member of Railfuture, which acts as an umbrella organisation supporting many local campaigns like this, as well as campaigning for general railway improvements at a national level.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

There is also a campaign to reopen the railway line between Matlock and Buxton, now known as the Monsal Trail. There is a lot of opposition, mainly from the tourism sector, but am told that should HS2 go ahead there will some big guns behind the reopening.

The reason is because so much limestone will be required to cross the Peak District that the amount of lorries for 24hrs transportation will cause so much road damage and disruption.
    Currently the rail journey for limestone initially goes north west via Stockport/Manchester and then either via Sheffield or another route to the south.

Reopen the MT and there is a shorter direct route straight to where it is required.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post

Yes they have done a fine job on the railway path but as I say for me and I guess people like me they have destroyed its character.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCY8M-w5i54

This has character (And I don't mean the commentator - who actually doesn't know much about railways).

It is close to Leeds station and can be seen from every train travelling south. There is a proposal to turn it into an elevated garden walk (like in Paris and New York).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 14-10-2021 at 10:50 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    There is also a campaign to reopen the railway line between Matlock and Buxton, now known as the Monsal Trail. There is a lot of opposition, mainly from the tourism sector, but am told that should HS2 go ahead there will some big guns behind the reopening.

The reason is because so much limestone will be required to cross the Peak District that the amount of lorries for 24hrs transportation will cause so much road damage and disruption.
    Currently the rail journey for limestone initially goes north west via Stockport/Manchester and then either via Sheffield or another route to the south.

Reopen the MT and there is a shorter direct route straight to where it is required.
    A plan has actually been drawn up to "re-provision" the Monsal Trail if the railway is ever rebuilt. I don't know any details, but I'm sure it would be preferable to cycling through the tunnels.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges