Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo switch

Nintendo switch

Our 11yr old insists she wants it. She feels left behind compared to her peers, these days youngsters' status is linked to what stuff they own. Mind you, it was identical when I was in school 35yr ago. Actually not sure how much different is for adults, why do most adults buy overpriced unnecessary flashy cars after all, but never mind...

We are against buying because 1) videogames are uneducational, and 2) okish with buying some junk, but not when it's this expensive.

I'm amazed how many parents apparently buy this to their children.

Where do you stand?
    Last edited by Gambatte; 24-10-2021 at 09:58 AM.

I no longer really can be arsed posting here but feel compelled to post on this complete madness. You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about if you think video games are uneducational and expensive junk, in particular Nintendo games!

You’ll be saying playing draughts and ludo is far more ‘educational’ and wholesome next
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 24-10-2021 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I no longer really can be arsed posting here but feel compelled to post on this complete madness. You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about if you think video games are uneducational and expensive junk, in particular Nintendo games!

You’ll be saying playing draughts and ludo is far more ‘educational’ and wholesome next
    Yes Yes. But what do you really think?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    [QUOTE=Fellbeast;676072]I no longer really can be arsed posting here but feel compelled to post on this complete madness. You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about if you think video games are uneducational and expensive junk, in particular Nintendo games!

You’ll be saying playing draughts and ludo is far more ‘educational’ and wholesome next [/QUOTE

I largely agree with this my 7 & 4 yr old grandsons both have Nintendo consoles and I am amazed at what they have learned and managed to achieve from there use of them,( although they are limited by there mother as to how long they spend on them) they also have computer access to enable them to do there Homework/Schoolwork etc.

I will say though that i was sceptical when the eldest first got his console but when I saw how it helped him with a multitude of different aspects of his life and developement I quickly changed my view and realised the days of sitting quietly studiously studying books etc are long since gone.

Of course as with adults every child is different and needs to find there own way forward with the aid of whatever works best for them and unless they are given the chance to see what works for them they could inardvertently be held back.

Just my take on it,

By the way I agree on the adults and material possesions cars etc whats the point.
    Last edited by JohnK; 24-10-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I'm not a fan of children being stuck behind a screen at all, and always get my nephews outside in the garden at every opportunity.

Eldest nephew uses an ipad but only plays educational type games on it, and i can see that they have their place in development.. Thankfully he prefers reading books, and long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post

Don't drone on like this, get to the point.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'm not a fan of children being stuck behind a screen at all, and always get my nephews outside in the garden at every opportunity.

Eldest nephew uses an ipad but only plays educational type games on it, and i can see that they have their place in development.. Thankfully he prefers reading books, and long may it continue.

Having a games console does not mean a child is condemed to spend its childhood behind a screen (that will probably come with adulthood), in my grand childrens case they have an allocated amount of screen time and that is dependent on them having put all their more serious daily tasks behind them.

AS to excercise and getting outside they walk 1 mile + to school and the same back home again 5 days a week Monday evenings is football, Wednesday is Tennis (Swimming in winter) and Friday is Swimming (so twice a week in winter) weekends are spent cycling or walking with either ther parents or grandparents, the eldest lad allready has several Wainwrights to his name.

Given the way that technology is advancing screen time is an essential part of a childs education to help them forward into adulthood and most probably a working life not far from a screen.

Yes books still can have a place but they do very little for hand, eye,limb, finger, body and brain co-ordination

Again just my take.
    Last edited by JohnK; 24-10-2021 at 09:30 PM.

My nephew is also football and swimming, but cricket in the summer rather than tennis!

I had hoped he would follow my footsteps and end up at my athletics club on the junior section, as the kids are so well looked after... But alas football is his main passion at the moment...

Above my pay grade, what does Nintendo do?
    Forget that question, I will never understand the answer. Hide under my duvet oggling my Silva compass and still trying to work out why the needle thingy always points to the North.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Above my pay grade, what does Nintendo do?
    Forget that question, I will never understand the answer. Hide under my duvet oggling my Silva compass and still trying to work out why the needle thingy always points to the North.
    Get a young gamer to explain it to you