Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nintendo switch

I think video games are just another interest, just like the great outdoors, books, TV, theatre, art, film, fell running, cycling, going to the gym or whatever. At its simplest playing a video game requires far more interaction with what you are doing than say watching anything on TV. Or reading a book come to that. Oh and it is possible to like all of these things - be outdoorsy and read books and watch films and play video games and cycle and fell run and go to the gym

I think it was Gambatte calling the Switch expensive junk that riled me . In the same way that there’s always been be lots of crap things to do outdoors, crap books to read and crap TV and films to watch, yes there are also lots of crap video games to play. But the very best video games can be super creative works of art, beautiful, super clever and stacked full of puzzles and problems to solve. And arguably Nintendo perhaps are the masters of the art

Like so much in life, it's a matter of balance, moderation and proportion -innit?

"...young children who are entertained by screens will learn to flatten their emotional range; they do not expect humanoid forms to respond to them".

"We are embodied beings. Our screens may compel us to believe that we are mere brains in jars that can manage to type sarcasm and anger and emojis — but we are in fact more, and far better, than that. And it is during our long, lovely childhoods that we find out how connected and creative we can be."

Paraphrased from:
    A Hunter-Gatherer's Guide to the 21st Century: Evolution and the Challenges of Modern Life
    by Heather Heying, Bret Weinstein

I think one of the best 'gifts' we can give to children is the opportunity to experience, tolerate amd contend with (master), boredom
    Last edited by Mossdog; 26-10-2021 at 05:26 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Yeah I had two sheath knives at the age of 10, plus in the wrong hands a fairly lethal bow and arrows. I fashioned both knifes as Bowie knives as was the fashion and spent a great deal of time building wild camps and bonfires and generally running rampage in the woods with my friends. And seeing who could hold bangers in their hands in the run up to firework night the longest and firing them out of handle bar tubes. We also made wooden trollies (go karts) and used to hurtle down the pavements on one of the hills in our estate nearby. I also managed to axe myself in the leg whilst camping with the scouts (nothing severe just a massive gash)

I suspect playing a cutie turnip farming game like Animal Crossing on a Switch, has one existed at the time, might’ve been a too tame and nice to be honest. Fortunately I didn’t kill myself but I reckon I visited A&E at least once or twice most years for stitches
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 26-10-2021 at 06:17 PM.

One November, aged about 10 years, a group of us fashioned a cannon out of a sawn length of an old metal sun-lounger leg, hammered one end closed, and drilled a hole above the hammered end, mounted it on a block of wood with nails and dismantled several fireworks for their gun-powder and stuck one of the banger fuses in the drilled hole. Stuffed the tube with the powder and added a ball bearing and...

Not to mention the antics with air-rifles and pistols. Ah, Happy Days
    Am Yisrael Chai

Growing up in Mid-Wales appears to have been no different to anywhere else as many of the japes already mentioned were enjoyed.
    In addition, two of my favourite activities were egg collecting and tickling fish!

Frowned upon these days, in fact illegal, but being out in the countryside formed my love of it and nature. And the skill involved in blowing a Long Tailed Tits egg. I doubt if I could do it now.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I was pretty good at tickling trout too, but use a rod and line now! Many of us kids went bird nesting and blew eggs (doubt I had a long tailed tit in my meagre collection), looking for bird nests all spring was quite normal, and like you started the learning process of natural history.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

We were just football in the park, all evening, every evening... all day every day in the holidays.

And winding up the big kids off the estate and getting chased by them... but we knew every road, every alley.

Most of us Coventry City mad... when you could get into Highfield Road for £4 as a junior... when money was a problem (which it was for some), we all pile into someone's dads car and watch Cov reserves instead as you could get in for pennies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think this is largely because you grew up in a later era than the rest of us. For kids, particularly boys, growing up in the 1970s and earlier decades you could get away with an awful lot. And we did
    Thats the point comparing what we did as kids with to days generation of kids and saying that the newer genrations should be doing what we did is pointless.

We just need to remember that things have moved on and each generation is evolving into something different to the previous generation, so that it can adapt to the very different world to that which we grew up in.

Living in past is futile we all need to move on and adapt and accept evolution.
    Last edited by JohnK; 27-10-2021 at 06:57 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was