Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silva Compass Bubbles

Silva Compass Bubbles

Recently, all three of my Silva compasses have developed small air bubbles, effectively simultaneously. They range in age from about 10 years to a couple of years old. They've been kept in rucksacks and bumbags hanging in my garage, which doesn't get particularly cold or hot, so I'm a bit flummoxed (and peed off) as to why this has happened. They're still usable for now, but if the bubbles get worse (and I've no idea what caused the air to enter the needle housing) there's the expense of replacement. We'll see.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Quick internet search doesn't suggest any real remedies either.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Recently, all three of my Silva compasses have developed small air bubbles, effectively simultaneously. They range in age from about 10 years to a couple of years old. They've been kept in rucksacks and bumbags hanging in my garage, which doesn't get particularly cold or hot, so I'm a bit flummoxed (and peed off) as to why this has happened. They're still usable for now, but if the bubbles get worse (and I've no idea what caused the air to enter the needle housing) there's the expense of replacement. We'll see.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Quick internet search doesn't suggest any real remedies either.
    I have one that I bought 4 years ago, which developed a bubble this year. Still works OK (but it hasn't had much use this year).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I have one that I bought 4 years ago, which developed a bubble this year. Still works OK (but it hasn't had much use this year).
    So mine have got bubbles this year. Yours has got a bubble this year.....I don't want to start any scary spooky apocalyptic theories but C'MON!!!!....
    Am Yisrael Chai

My Silva compass also developed a large bubble this year, and i eventually had to get rid... although i must have had it for over decade.

Replaced it with..... another Silva

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    My Silva compass also developed a large bubble this year, and i eventually had to get rid... although i must have had it for over decade.

Replaced it with..... another Silva
    Geezzz! That proves it. There's definitely something massively sinister going on here, while the World has been preoccupied with COVID.

THEY'RE HERE ALREADY! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuL2QwsNeM8
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    More on compass bubbles and how to fix them :-

https://goneoutdoors.com/bubble-out-...s-8568883.html

https://www.all4o.com/orienteering-b...ompass-bubbles

It`s worked for me in the past
    Last edited by JohnK; 29-10-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    More on compass bubbles and how to fix them :-

https://goneoutdoors.com/bubble-out-...s-8568883.html

https://www.all4o.com/orienteering-b...ompass-bubbles

It`s worked for me in the past
    I like the last link especially.

So, if the bubble gets bigger or smaller depending on altitude, with the use of a micrometer and a set of logarithmic tables or slide rule, you could use it out on the mountain side as a makeshift altimeter - cool (to avoid any misconstruing, I'm only joking!).

One compass resting and warming on the Aga top now, we'll see if we can bash a bubble...
    Am Yisrael Chai

I’ve just checked on my compass collection (3 Silva, 1 Moscow) and they are bubble-free.
    I’m surprised as the Silvas are 10, 35 and 45ish years old, dating back to my ML, my first cub hike and my Dad’s ML respectively. They all work absolutely fine. Just a little corrosion on the 35yo Silva Starter needle South.
    The Moscow is a thumb compass and a thing of beauty, especially as it also a SI dibber. (No bubbles there neither).

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    IÂ’ve just checked on my compass collection (3 Silva, 1 Moscow) and they are bubble-free.
    IÂ’m surprised as the Silvas are 10, 35 and 45ish years old, dating back to my ML, my first cub hike and my DadÂ’s ML respectively. They all work absolutely fine. Just a little corrosion on the 35yo Silva Starter needle South.
    The Moscow is a thumb compass and a thing of beauty, especially as it also a SI dibber. (No bubbles there neither).
    Thanks for the feedback Felltrumpet and glad to hear yours are fine. Yes, mine are of various ages too, and I was just surprised they all seem to develop a bubble together. I'm thinking it was something to do with the garage environment they were stored in, perhaps. I also have one kept in my office that's fine. Fortunately the bubbles aren't large and if they do become a problem I'll have a ready excuse to buy a brand new Silva
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    ...I'll have a ready excuse to buy a brand new Silva
    Why not? One just can't have too many compasses.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".