Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silva Compass Bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Why not? One just can't have too many compasses.
    Ahhh but sadly, perhaps it's the bubble in my moral one that causes most grief
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Using a dibber thumb compass makes me feel like a wizard on mm-type events as it just floats above the control and makes it beep.

Ha ha. Oh yes. That is very good.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Important compass bubble news...

my Silva compass has a bubble.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Important compass bubble news...

my Silva compass has a bubble.
    and no one believed me...at first! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYbHpXca7U0
    Am Yisrael Chai

Recently, all three of my Silva compasses have developed small air bubbles, effectively simultaneously. They range in age from about 10 years to a couple of years old. They've been kept in rucksacks and bumbags hanging in my garage, which doesn't get particularly cold or hot, so I'm a bit flummoxed (and peed off) as to why this has happened. They're still usable for now, but if the bubbles get worse (and I've no idea what caused the air to enter the needle housing) there's the expense of replacement. We'll see.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Quick internet search doesn't suggest any real remedies either.
    no remedy..they are dead and will get more so.. they are a sealed unit so once air gets in it will only get worse. its usually caused by the main housing being compressed in a rucksack or pocket, when released air is sucked in.
    when you get higher the bubble will expand, small bubbles you can get away with but it will soon effect the needle stability.

bite the bullet and go to Dash4it.co.uk...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I had bemusedly watched this thread from afar thinking I was unaffected. However, I've just emptied the campervan and noticed my 6-7 year old Silva classic now has a bubble. Not so my 40 year old Silva expedition which apparently is still as airtight as the day it was bought and has seen far more abuse than the classic which basically sits in my bumbag all the time awaiting the next kit check.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    no remedy..they are dead and will get more so.. they are a sealed unit so once air gets in it will only get worse.
    Agreed.

I blame climate change. Or should that be Covid?

Er...Brexit?

"...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    no remedy..they are dead and will get more so.. they are a sealed unit so once air gets in it will only get worse. its usually caused by the main housing being compressed in a rucksack or pocket, when released air is sucked in.
    when you get higher the bubble will expand, small bubbles you can get away with but it will soon effect the needle stability.

bite the bullet and go to Dash4it.co.uk...
    Thanks for that link Ian, I'd not come across that site before. You're correct about compressed compasses too, and I think I might rig up a small bubble wrap pouch or some sort of thing so I can cherish my new 'precious' properly.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Thanks for that link Ian, I'd not come across that site before. You're correct about compressed compasses too, and I think I might rig up a small bubble wrap pouch or some sort of thing so I can cherish my new 'precious' properly.
    My pleasure, thats what the forum is about.

Go outdoors usually will give 10% discount on a price match so you are even better off