Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiss of life?

I'm hedging my bets, Yorkshire Thug was non-binary. And a thug from Yorkshire.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Please email Charmain if you can help with the forum focus group, they probably need more than just one person off here.
    I would offer but FB group takes so much time because of spammers and bots. not so the forum Id wager but yes 3 or 4 admins would work best.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Please email Charmain if you can help with the forum focus group, they probably need more than just one person off here.
    Thanks Mr. B - I now have three willing volunteers to help out which is great.
    Charmian Heaton

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    ...And please lets not miscontrue some people backing away from a heated situation as 'covering their eyes'. Such assertions are misguided and inaccurate.
    Hmmm..? And yet from the very same Wheeze in September 2020

Those who have goaded or taunted [xxxxxxx] should hang their heads in shame. He is a long standing forumite whose rather simplistic views have long been tolerated. Such behaviour should have no place down our previously friendly pub.
    Anyway you'll be glad to know that I think I'm out and waiting for the revamp

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I see that IanDP has advertised the Forum on the Fellrunners' Facebook page, and immediately got comments from two people finding themselves unable to login. I have also recently had problems, where I login, then write a post, try to submit it and get told that I need to be logged in to post.

I would be very hesitant to criticise Brett, who appears to be doing the best possible job with what he has got; but if the FRA wants to revive the Forum, it definitely needs improved functionality, which may require some financial outlay, as well as a good techie to run the show.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Charmian View Post
    I would say that the future of fell running is very healthy and inclusive and we should also celebrate the participation of minority groups rather than hiding behind anonymity. The article about Adnan Khan in the Fellrunner was excellent and he was a recognisable contributor to the FRA Forum.
    A young woman, from an urban part of Lancashire, gets taken to watch a fell race by a friend and likes what she sees.

She decides to take up the sport, and duly becomes a member of the FRA forum, entering her very unusual name along with a photograph of herself

Living at home, she tells her dad that she is driving to Manchester at weekends to visit friends, when really she is racing in the Lake District. She does this because in the culture that she was born into mixing with men like this would be forbidden.

All is well for some time, until one day she leaves her laptop on and her dad sees who she has been mixing with and what she has been doing.

The young woman never runs again, and the story ends with domestic violence*

*This is a fictional story, but it could become a true one in the future

Charmian, can you please explain to us all how 'we should also celebrate the participation of minority groups rather than hiding behind anonymity.' will prevent a story such as this from becoming a future reality?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I see that IanDP has advertised the Forum on the Fellrunners' Facebook page, and immediately got comments from two people finding themselves unable to login. I have also recently had problems, where I login, then write a post, try to submit it and get told that I need to be logged in to post.

I would be very hesitant to criticise Brett, who appears to be doing the best possible job with what he has got; but if the FRA wants to revive the Forum, it definitely needs improved functionality, which may require some financial outlay, as well as a good techie to run the show.
    I think that the forum has got some dated functionality which will be sorted when the new website is sorted fingers crossed... I already see the forum being used in a better way than FB.

Marco I see your point how would you suggest we proceed. would you like to send a suggestion to the committee.

The scenario you relate does not refer to a lack of inclusion relative to the sport of fell running but rather a cultural problem over which we have no control. That young woman would be better advised to join a local club to get real support and not to join the Forum but remain as a non-posting viewer.

Did anyone watch Rehna on the Kendal Mountain Festival last year? She is a young Pakistani woman from Ashton who went on a group walk at Dovestones and had a tantrum, taking off her boots and throwing them at the leader. Roll on and she is now a qualified mountain leader at the Lindley Educational Trust: https://www.lindleyeducationaltrust.org/about/

She was an absolute inspiration and very entertaining. She would be the kind of role model I would advocate.

https://www.outwardbound.org.uk/case...my-story-rehna
    Last edited by Charmian; 04-11-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    Charmian Heaton

I think the point was more about the young lady being able to participate in forum discussions and maintain her anonymity. Joining a local running club would probably be a little close to home for her controlling parents not to notice.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I've held back from this as I run little now and never race, but my 2 pennyworth is as follows.
    I think the forum does need updating, easier to post photos would be one thing.
    I am slightly against the addition of like/dislike buttons, they are great for the ego when a post is smothered with "likes" but it can also work against a forumite. If someone is a little outspoken or makes themselves unpopular they will be hit with dislikes on every post (virtual stalkers take this to extremes). This could almost be classified as forum bullying and can certainly hinder open debates on controversial matters with some not bothering to post or dropping out - preferable to being seen to be unpopular.
    The buttons are a mix of good and bad, but for me the bad can slightly outweigh the good so I would not have them.

I've never done facebook or seen the fell runners one, but the situation with this forum and the FB equivallent sound exactly the same as my fishing forums - the majority head for FB with repetative questions and mindless opinions, whilst a few remain on the forums and debate or discuss more. Perhaps things will turn around in time, but a better presented forum would be more appealing to those looking in.
    I have no objection to using my name but as everyone knows me as Moley I prefer to use that on here - and nobody is removing my sacred Mole avatar!! I quite understand if some wish to remain anonymous and don't have a problem with it. If we want to use our real names then add it to our visible personal profiles. Anyway, it is a bit of fun when a YT or similar turns up to cause opinionated havoc .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.