Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Kiss of life?

Einstein said that in order to make progress, someone somewhere has to give up a long held and sacred tenet. He was referring to the sticky task of resolving the differences between classical and quantum mechanics, but the principle will be valid for this forum transition. The most important thing to me is that the working group secures the future of the forum, and to do that sacrifices will have to be made.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Dominion came and stayed at our house once for a mountain biking event - he drank all my best wine in an evening 🍷
    all?

Clearly you had not laid down enough cases.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Einstein said that in order to make progress, someone somewhere has to give up a long held and sacred tenet. He was referring to the sticky task of resolving the differences between classical and quantum mechanics, but the principle will be valid for this forum transition. The most important thing to me is that the working group secures the future of the forum, and to do that sacrifices will have to be made.
    I am happy to agree with someone who defers to Einstein.

You only have one chance for major change so the biggest risk to achieving real change is compromise, sticking with what is comfortable.

When those who are involved in change processes are asked what they would have done differently, they often say that they regret not going faster and further ie not being radical enough.

Consider The Fellrunner. The changes made in 2019 were, arguably, the most fundamental since 1987. They went too far and there have since been some revisions but the marvellous Fellrunner we enjoy today simply would not have come about by steady incremental changes.

And, as Charmian has said, the FRA now has more members than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    all?

Clearly you had not laid down enough cases.
    Our butler had the evening off and I don't know my way around our wine cellar, weekend staff shortages.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    I met a few forumites over the years, purely through this forum and have stayed friends with them. Dominion came and stayed at our house once for a mountain biking event - he drank all my best wine in an evening 🍷, god knows how he rode the next day.
    Many a friendship was forged on here and I hope many more are with future generations of fell runners.
    Not enough information. What bottles did he drink - we need to know - Petrus? Grange?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Not enough information. What bottles did he drink - we need to know - Petrus? Grange?
    For the record: I have drunk Petrus.

I kept the bottle for a while in case of doubters!

It was...mmmh...special

For the record: I have drunk Petrus.

I kept the bottle for a while in case of doubters!

It was...mmmh...special
    Be thankful Dominion wasn't stopping over at yours that evening.
    Did you win the Petrus as a V70 prize in a fell race? Now there's a way to improve race attendances!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Well I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm pretty sure I was unaware that the FRA existed until discovering the forum and then I lurked as a guest for ages before actually signing up. The forum is arguably of most use to those new to fellrunning? So I think it should be open for anyone to view at least.

As for the identity thing; I don't have a problem with it one way or the other (Ian Haigh, Southwell RC, live in the Peak District) Most people on Facebook use their real identities and it hasn't prevented inappropriate comments, trolls etc., so really what difference would it make? Even if we did know everyone's identity how would that information be useful to the FRA or anyone else?

I've thought for many years that a like button would be a useful addition because as a poster it's difficult to really know if what you post is actually appreciated. Some posts get no replies at all and this doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't deemed worthwhile or is not appreciated but the poster never actually knows this or if anyone has even bothered to read it.

Conversely some posts get lots of replies but are not necessarily appreciated. I can think of a number of threads on here in years gone by which have rambled on for evermore with lengthy controversial arguments which some forumites have found dreadfully boring and tedious but these get the same lack of appreciation/unappreciation. Then as these threads get lots of response it could be taken to mean that the majority of the forum actually like this sort of thing and encourage yet more rambling bollox.

At one point in time it appeared to me that these safety & political discussions/arguments/rants were becoming the main focus of the forum while threads related to racing, running routes and training practically disappeared. A like button would at least show what forumites actually want to see and read.

Be thankful Dominion wasn't stopping over at yours that evening.
    Did you win the Petrus as a V70 prize in a fell race? Now there's a way to improve race attendances!
    Ha ha!

Although I have won several bottles of champagne and whiskey.

But today at Shepherd's Skyline it was Ringwood Brewery Razor Back - they all count!

Times have changed since the first Forum.

I now think:

2. It is unacceptable that the Forum Master (on behalf of the FRA) does not know the identity of every contributor. The FRA is a Governing Body and not some sleazy private laddish club. People who go to great lengths to hide themselves are not pure of heart.
    I think this needs a meme. Shame we can't post them ....