Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Kiss of life?

Who said "sock puppets"??!

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    I think this needs a meme. Shame we can't post them ....
    Ah but on Forum Mark 11...
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    Well I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm pretty sure I was unaware that the FRA existed until discovering the forum and then I lurked as a guest for ages before actually signing up. The forum is arguably of most use to those new to fellrunning? So I think it should be open for anyone to view at least.

As for the identity thing; I don't have a problem with it one way or the other (Ian Haigh, Southwell RC, live in the Peak District) Most people on Facebook use their real identities and it hasn't prevented inappropriate comments, trolls etc., so really what difference would it make? Even if we did know everyone's identity how would that information be useful to the FRA or anyone else?

I've thought for many years that a like button would be a useful addition because as a poster it's difficult to really know if what you post is actually appreciated. Some posts get no replies at all and this doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't deemed worthwhile or is not appreciated but the poster never actually knows this or if anyone has even bothered to read it.

Conversely some posts get lots of replies but are not necessarily appreciated. I can think of a number of threads on here in years gone by which have rambled on for evermore with lengthy controversial arguments which some forumites have found dreadfully boring and tedious but these get the same lack of appreciation/unappreciation. Then as these threads get lots of response it could be taken to mean that the majority of the forum actually like this sort of thing and encourage yet more rambling bollox.

At one point in time it appeared to me that these safety & political discussions/arguments/rants were becoming the main focus of the forum while threads related to racing, running routes and training practically disappeared. A like button would at least show what forumites actually want to see and read.
    Like 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Who said "sock puppets"??!
    Always loved a sock puppet.

My I phone corrects to sick puppet.

Always loved a sock puppet.
    Juvenile entertainment?...but still fun!😀

But they can be used for very bad purposes (by not nice people) so I can see why they are seen as a problem.

My I phone corrects to sick puppet.
    Sick parrot? But at least it isn't dead.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Just resting!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I am happy to agree with someone who defers to Einstein.

You only have one chance for major change so the biggest risk to achieving real change is compromise, sticking with what is comfortable.
    Do you see a distinction between refusal to compromise and extremism? It would be disappointing to end up with 'Cathedra mae regulae maea'.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Do you see a distinction between refusal to compromise and extremism? It would be disappointing to end up with 'Cathedra mae regulae maea'.
    I once worked alongside a business consultant (a consultant to McKinseys) who was challenged in public by an extremely senior manager in my employers that to achieve a certain proposed outcome would "require a huge intellectual leap of imagination".

The consultant replied "Yes. And I am capable of it".

I have similar confidence in the FRA Committee.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".