Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiss of life?

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Travs posted here on Thursday that the OMM had been cancelled.

As for announcing a bereavement, that is a difficult one. I can't see why people would want to announce one on Facebook. How very un-personal.

I'm not on Facebook either.
    He did indeed Llani and I read that too. So we're not out of touch with the likes of that youngster keeping us right

On the point of the OMM, after the 2008 media debacle the OMM organisers are being understandably cautious. I've seen the BBC footage of Derwent merging with Bassenthwaite, but now take a lot of mainstream media coverage with a pinch of salt. I've been over to Eden a couple of times this last week, but can't speak for what was going on weatherwise over in the Lakes. Anyone closer to west Cumbria have any info about the situation?
    Last edited by Mossdog; 30-10-2021 at 02:17 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I missed Trav's post about the OMM. I don't think the FB posting about a death was likely to be how it was announced in the normal meaning in that context. It's not that unusual on here for the death of someone well known in the sport to be posted but I'm sure not until it's been made known to family and close friends. I was just surprised that when someone of that stature who has contributed so much to our sport passed away it wasn't mentioned on here. Maybe that was his families wish, which is why I'm not naming him publicly now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    He did indeed Llani and I read that too. So we're not out of touch with the likes of that youngster keeping us right

On the point of the OMM, after the 2008 media debacle the OMM organisers are being understandably cautious. I've seen the BBC footage of Derwent merging with Bassenthwaite, but now take a lot of mainstream media coverage with a pinch of salt. I've been over to Eden a couple of times this last week, but can't speak for what was going on weatherwise over in the Lakes. Anyone closer to west Cumbria have any info about the situation?
    The conditions in the Lakes in the last week or so have been safe for experienced competitors - lots of streaming and standing water, rivers are in spate, and the terrain is very slippery. Having said that, depending on the routes undertaken, there might have been some dodgy river crossings. But the main problem was the event marquee being blown down, and the Great Langdale road itself has apparently sustained considerable surface damage. And the event parking field would have been a mess in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    1) last time i checked there still seemed to be some issues posting photos/maps/etc... i think you Marco posted up a way to get round it, and obviously Fellbeast managed as well... but to be honest if i can't just click an icon and load the photo (similar to everywhere else on social media) it just becomes too much of a ball-ache. I'd happily start adding photos to my training posts otherwise.
    From what I see, as member, it is only possible to upload photos with a very small filesize (so a tiny picture) to the forum. Even then, they don't appear automatically and you have to click on a link.

From what I can see I think it would require either a substantial update or a new forum to allow all photos to be uploaded directly. Even if this route was to be pursued, the handling of an ever increasing number of photos would mean that the forum would need extra storage facilities as well.

Six months ago, to the day for obsessive types, I posted instructions for using a free photo sharing site that would allow photos to be attached directly to your post. The instructions are at #7541 of Today's bike ride.

It's easier and simpler to use than Facebook, and the technique I outlined will also allow you to attach a photo to an email - so it has other uses too. It's not difficult, but if anyone tries it and has problems I am happy to assist; anyone with a teenage child/grandchild should be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I do have one initial suggestion though. Is it time to replace our avatars with a picture of ourselves, to give the forum more genuine personality? Swoop was always unabashed about this.
    Mine is of me! I'm hoping to meet you all at a fell race sooner or later, now you all know what my distinctive forehead looks like.

I think this place has something FB can't offer- wisdom. It's buried in the annals and reams of various threads and it's archived for future reference. It's about keeping the old place warm and draught free until the congregation returns.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks all. You've made my heart warmer and covered most of the points I would have made. Glad we agree.
    Sorry Brett, game is still on!🤣

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I think this place has something FB can't offer- wisdom. It's buried in the annals and reams of various threads and it's archived for future reference. It's about keeping the old place warm and draught free until the congregation returns.
    I like where you’re coming from but it’s not absolutely true is it? I follow Killian Jornet on Twitter and Instagram and loads of other U.K. top fell runners like Ricky Lightfoot. All on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram but not here…

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    There is still a place for the forum but it is long overdue a facelift. Hopefully none of the historical threads and their wealth of information would be lost in the process.
    Improvements I'd suggest would be the ability to easily add pictures -cloud storage costs nothing these days -and the ability to 'like' posts. I read a lot of threads, think they have merit but don't feel the need to respond. Perhaps even a read count would be a good thing. This would at least show contributors were being acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I like where you’re coming from but it’s not absolutely true is it? I follow Killian Jornet on Twitter and Instagram and loads of other U.K. top fell runners like Ricky Lightfoot. All on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram but not here…
    I can't say that i've ever really read anything on facebook by any of the "stars".... perhaps i've not been paying attention.

On here there are pages of info and route hints about just about every fell race ever ran. Not to mention advice on training/injuries/etc.... for the "rank and file" fellracer/runner i think this place has far more value.

I'll readily acknowledge that for keeping up with race dates/results/photos/changes of info, facebook is absolutely invaluable.