Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiss of life?

Although not on Facebook I look at it from time to time to keep up with events/changes of info as referred to by Travs, especially for WFRA stuff. It is a pain though as every few seconds a page pops up, obscuring what I am reading, telling me to log in to my account which I keep having to delete.

I must say that many of the videos put on sites like FellrunnersUK by both top and average runners are just blatant advertising of a product and/or themselves!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 31-10-2021 at 09:29 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    There is still a place for the forum but it is long overdue a facelift. Hopefully none of the historical threads and their wealth of information would be lost in the process.
    Improvements I'd suggest would be the ability to easily add pictures -cloud storage costs nothing these days -and the ability to 'like' posts. I read a lot of threads, think they have merit but don't feel the need to respond. Perhaps even a read count would be a good thing. This would at least show contributors were being acknowledged.
    Like 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Like ��
    Yeah, +1. User interface upgrade with more content related features, i'd pay an extra quid on my annual subs for it.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Thanks all. You've made my heart warmer and covered most of the points I would have made. Glad we agree.
    Sorry Brett, game is still on!��
    I think there are a lot more ideas we need to bring up and discuss. You may well know the quote credited to, but believed not to have originated from, Albert Einstein

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

If we keep on doing what we have been doing then the forum will stay as it is, and its active membership will slowly dwindle.

We could introduce a new category, called 'News' or 'Breaking news', where announcements such as 'OMM cancelled', 'Four Fans race moved to July 16th' or 'Llani Boy wins 2022 Welsh M60 championship'. It would draw more people to look at the forum, particularly if it was supported by some quality posts and wouldn't be difficult to implement using the existing infrastructure.

Like 😊
    This is very interesting and topical as the FRA are in advanced stages of developing a new website and you may have seen the new Races/Results platform. Brett has taken the opportunity to retire from the FRA Committee after more than 20 years of loyal service and the future of the Forum will come up for review shortly. My observations are that there are no women and it comes over as a bit of a Gentlemen's Club where old timers all know each other. I would support a change to real names and photos which would make contributors more recognisable and approachable to new members. If pseudonyms are used then there should be a signature, to identify the poster.

I agree that there is a wealth of valuable information but there are also some threads and posts which have nothing to do with fell running and which do not reflect well on the FRA.

So, is there anyone on here who would be interested in working with the FRA to form a small sub-committee / working party to formulate a plan to revive what was a good source of information, to encourage new members and thereby to protect the future of the Forum going forward.

If you are interested, then drop me a line to
    [email protected]
    Charmian Heaton

Quote Originally Posted by Charmian View Post
    This is very interesting and topical as the FRA are in advanced stages of developing a new website and you may have seen the new Races/Results platform. Brett has taken the opportunity to retire from the FRA Committee after more than 20 years of loyal service and the future of the Forum will come up for review shortly. My observations are that there are no women and it comes over as a bit of a Gentlemen's Club where old timers all know each other. I would support a change to real names and photos which would make contributors more recognisable and approachable to new members. If pseudonyms are used then there should be a signature, to identify the poster.

I agree that there is a wealth of valuable information but there are also some threads and posts which have nothing to do with fell running and which do not reflect well on the FRA.

So, is there anyone on here who would be interested in working with the FRA to form a small sub-committee / working party to formulate a plan to revive what was a good source of information, to encourage new members and thereby to protect the future of the Forum going forward.

If you are interested, then drop me a line to
    [email protected]

Whilst i understand where you're coming from on this point, not everyone on here is ancient....

I'm still in my 30's (for another 6 months anyway!)..... ba-ba is younger still, and maybe in his 20's still (and someone suggested above that there are no high-level runners posting on here, i think they are doing ba-ba a massive dis-service). In the aftermath of the Dragons Back this year, we had very interesting forum posts from two of the top 6 finishers.

Calvin used to post on here, and may still do occasionally, he must be late 20's-early 30's and a regular poster on the facebook page too.

It's certainly true that there is quite a lot of familiarity on here, and indeed i think i've met the majority of regular posters on here at least once.... but even the small number of regular posters on here come from a wide geographical area with a wide variety of backgrounds.

I totally agree on some of the off-topic/political posts and whether we like it or not, this is a forum linked to the FRA and it does not reflect well. However this does seem to have calmed down a great deal, due to either the odd banning, and the disappearance of a couple of the more volatile posters on such subjects.

Also agree on the lack of female voices... but you can't force people to post or join up if they don't want to, and i don't think it's necessarily a stick that can be used to beat the forum down. We could do with more regular posters, male or female...

On the subject of anonimity... i'd have no problem posting under my real name... i think most people on here know who i am, and i know who they are... not sure everyone would be in agreement though.

This is probably an old-fashioned view... but i get the feeling a lot of people would rather spend time on facebook discussing shoes and lightweight jackets... its the easy option, rather than thinking about training harder, learning race routes, losing a couple of kg (would make so much more difference than buying a shoe which weighs 25grammes less!!)...
    Last edited by Travs; 31-10-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    There is still a place for the forum but it is long overdue a facelift. Hopefully none of the historical threads and their wealth of information would be lost in the process.
    Improvements I'd suggest would be the ability to easily add pictures -cloud storage costs nothing these days -and the ability to 'like' posts. I read a lot of threads, think they have merit but don't feel the need to respond. Perhaps even a read count would be a good thing. This would at least show contributors were being acknowledged.
    Like ��
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Yeah, +1. User interface upgrade with more content related features, i'd pay an extra quid on my annual subs for it.
    There's a serious flaw in your thinking, which implies you didn't read JohnK's recent post (below) and click on the first of his links (I can't get the second one to work).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Here are some navigation hints or maybe not from wayback when the forum had a sense of direction.

https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...ght=navigation.

Loads more here :-

https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/sear...earchid=513249

A lot of names there that are certainly missed on the current forum
    The example JohnK gives, from the 'golden age' of the forum, is a thread that flowed between June and October of 2009. The thread has 90 posts from 34 contributors, of which only three can be recognized by their forum name. Likewise, only four of the contributors have photos from which they could, possibly, be identified and only one has signed his name

The thread that JohnK has chosen as an example of the forum is about navigation but there is not a single photo, picture or map. It is all words, and if you doubt me I suggest you read it. So if we could have a quality thread about navigation without photos then, why will having easier to add photos change anything now?

I think it is a cop-out. Saying that we'd have more members, and more interest, on the forum if we had a single-click feature to load photos is untrue and the 2009 thread proves it. Those people who really want to add photos are already doing it, and those people who aren't can't be bothered.

On the ability to 'like' posts, why do we want the forum to look and behave like Facebook? The logical progression from this would be to move to Facebook. And if we did have a 'like' facility, should we go the full hog and only offer the most liked posts and threads for viewing by default? Is this what we really want?
    Last edited by Marco; 31-10-2021 at 06:35 PM.

undercover moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Is it time to replace our avatars with a picture of ourselves, to give the forum more genuine personality? Swoop was always unabashed about this.
    and Danbert was.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    There's a serious flaw in your thinking, which implies you didn't read JohnK's recent post (below) and click on the first of his links (I can't get the second one to work).

The example JohnK gives, from the 'golden age' of the forum, is a thread that flowed between June and October of 2009. The thread has 90 posts from 34 contributors, of which only three can be recognized by their forum name. Likewise, only four of the contributors have photos from which they could, possibly, be identified and only one has signed his name

The thread that JohnK has chosen as an example of the forum is about navigation but there is not a single photo, picture or map. It is all words, and if you doubt me I suggest you read it. So if we could have a quality thread about navigation without photos then, why will having easier to add photos change anything now?

I think it is a cop-out. Saying that we'd have more members, and more interest, on the forum if we had a single-click feature to load photos is untrue and the 2009 thread proves it. Those people who really want to add photos are already doing it, and those people who aren't can't be bothered.

On the ability to 'like' posts, why do we want the forum to look and behave like Facebook? The logical progression from this would be to move to Facebook. And if we did have a 'like' facility, should we go the full hog and only offer the most liked posts and threads for viewing by default? Is this what we really want?
    Don't like :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The thread that JohnK has chosen as an example of the forum is about navigation but there is not a single photo, picture or map. It is all words, and if you doubt me I suggest you read it.
    Well said.

Reid Enwright
    Am Yisrael Chai