Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No flagging!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Race maps are usually very good for running the actual race but less good if you need to navigate a different route back off the hill or provide a grid reference. I prefer to use OS maps bought from charity shops and cut to an appropriate size - including the surrounding area. I mark them up with race notes and grid figures if they aren't already on the area. Then I put them in a decent quality plastic bag and they fold up small and last for years.
    I definitely agree that I want my race route marked on an OS map, with all the surrounding detail. My preference is to print off a rectangle of OS 1:25000 map from streetmap.co.uk, and mark the route on that. It is then at larger than 1:25000 scale, which is probably of benefit to me, since I am not in the habit of putting my reading glasses in my bumbag when racing!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Race maps are usually very good for running the actual race but less good if you need to navigate a different route back off the hill or provide a grid reference. I prefer to use OS maps bought from charity shops and cut to an appropriate size - including the surrounding area. I mark them up with race notes and grid figures if they aren't already on the area. Then I put them in a decent quality plastic bag and they fold up small and last for years.
    Yes. I find making the map part of the fun of it all. It helps that I like maps. It as the added benefit of helping me remember/visualise the route as well. Somehow going through the process of marking up check points and drawing my intended route helps the information to stick in my brain better than if I just read it off a pre made map.

Good tip to pick up maps for this purpose from charity shops!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I have never understood why any body would think that fellrunners need a flagged course and actually see a flagged course as an insult to my capabilities
    I once did a race without provision of any route map (or much else) and the RO said that if we didn't know where we were going we should follow - named a runner - because he was going to win it again.

I supposed that the subtext was that if you couldn't keep the - named runner - in sight then you were too slow and shouldn't really be on the start line anyway.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I once did a race without provision of any route map (or much else) and the RO said that if we didn't know where we were going we should follow - named a runner - because he was going to win it again.

I supposed that the subtext was that if you couldn't keep the - named runner - in sight then you were too slow and shouldn't really be on the start line anyway.
    Well you proved you ability
    The older I get the Faster I was

And did you win it again Graham?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Bedlamite race?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

The one place I would suggest flagging ism useful - aside form the already mentioned sensitive areas - is within forests. Forestry work, mountain bike tracks popping up etc. - always happen much faster than maps are updated (and forest track mapping can be dubious anyway). Providing fair competition that in these cases the map often can't provide

An excellent example is often the Northern Irish leg of the British championships where they fully tape the descent back to Donard Park from the fell gate, often throwing in a few natural objects to negotiate.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Sometimes a bit of flagging might be necessary where a specific turn or route needs to be taken. Out of bounds areas should be indicated at race registration so that competitors can mark up their maps appropriately....I still have my OS map of Carneddau marked up with crossed out sectors indicating out of bounds on the Welsh 1000 metres race. Yet another reason to keep paper maps!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Runners used to follow Graham for the first 200 metres....

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Bedlamite race?

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Runners used to follow Graham for the first 200 metres....
    until I started...flagging.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".