Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brampton - Carlisle 10 Mile

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Hopefully conditions are favourable.
    Famous last words.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

This is it then, next sunday... the race i've been off the fells since July/August for....

Hoping to knock at least 90secs off my previous time, which would put me at 62:50.... but on the other hand i'm not sure i'm capable of under 62:00..... which leaves a very small margin for a satisfactory time.

Although i'm not really sure where my capability lies.... i ran a 5 mile trial on the track a couple of months back in just over 31mins, but doubted my capability to do that twice in succession... but since then training has generally been really good and i feel confident.

Hopefully conditions are favourable.
    Best of luck for tomorrow; I think, and hope, you can get under 62:00

The predicted conditions look reasonably favourable. Favourable, that is, for a linear race in mid November heading west

62:40 (pb by 1min40)

A slight twinge of disappointment initially as i was well under 62min pace at half way (admittedly the first half is quicker), and i'd have liked to finish in the low 62's or perhaps even better. Even at 7 miles i was doing the mental calcs and thought 62mins might be a close thing.

However i gave it everything, and 62:40 is a fair reflection of my ability as it stands.... its also "mission accomplished" with regards to the training i put in... i came off the fells in July and knew if i trained hard i was capable of something in the 62's.

There was a substantial headwind all the way today... when we turned back onto the main A689 at 6.5 miles it was like turning into a wind-tunnel. I'm not going to claim anything outrageous like it cost me a sub-62.... but surely it was worth 30secs.

Otherwise conditions were great.... damp but not wet, and cool but not cold.

Also smashed my 10km pb by nearly a minute during the race, new pb 38:07, so clearly something going well in training.

Legs were wobbling in the final mile and it was with some relief that the finish line came. Took me three attempts to get across the car park and into the car.

Winner was Carl Avery of Morpeth Harriers in the mid 49's
    Last edited by Travs; 19-11-2023 at 06:40 PM.

62:40 (pb by 1min40)

A slight twinge of disappointment initially as i was well under 62min pace at half way (admittedly the first half is quicker), and i'd have liked to finish in the low 62's or perhaps even better. Even at 7 miles i was doing the mental calcs and thought 62mins might be a close thing.

However i gave it everything, and 62:40 is a fair reflection of my ability as it stands.... its also "mission accomplished" with regards to the training i put in... i came off the fells in July and knew if i trained hard i was capable of something in the 62's.

There was a substantial headwind all the way today... when we turned back onto the main A689 at 6.5 miles it was like turning into a wind-tunnel. I'm not going to claim anything outrageous like it cost me a sub-62.... but surely it was worth 30secs.

Otherwise conditions were great.... damp but not wet, and cool but not cold.

Also smashed my 10km pb by nearly a minute during the race, new pb 38:07, so clearly something going well in training.

Legs were wobbling in the final mile and it was with some relief that the finish line came. Took me three attempts to get across the car park and into the car.

Winner was Carl Avery of Morpeth Harriers in the mid 49's
    Good result, you can't argue with 2 PBs in one race. Wind cripples me, but with your leg power you probably didn't lose much.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent