Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Champs races 2022

Only 251 ran in the men's race yesterday out of 389 entries, I know there's usually a lot of no shows but that seems particularly high?
    It was the usual mad dash at the start along the road and through the first field before a narrow gate, soon followed by another short narrow section and then the stream crossing. There didn't feel like much of a hold up where I was, probably just inside the top 100, not sure what it was like further back.
    After the stream it was onto the steep grassy climb and more or less on all fours for some of it before it eased into a hands on knees grind. Plenty of space by now for those dropping back or making their way up through the field after the quick start and then onto more runnable gradients and trying to convince your legs to pick up the pace again.
    The final half mile or so before the turn was a fast flat run along slabs trying to hang on until the descent. At the turn I managed a quick glance at the view of (probably) Penyghent in the distance. Definitely a good spot to hang around when not in so much of a rush!
    The top section of the descent was fast and grassy and I expected the usual crowd of people to come flying past me but there were only about 3 or 4 before the path levelled and then inclined slightly to meet the outward route and the steep plunge down to the stream crossing. Another 4 or 5 came past me on the steepest section making it look easy while I tottered down and crossed the stream for the last dash to the finish.
    A good mix of steep and runnable and no let up all the way round as usual for a short Champs race. 80th overall and some good v45 points for me, so happy with that.
    Brilliant run by Finlay, pushed much of the way by Dan Haworth I believe and breaking Colin Donnelly's record from 1988.
    Great run by Hannah Russell too to win the women's. Missed it myself but I heard she looked effortless on the final section of the descent. There were plenty watching at the bottom with cameras/phones so no doubt there will be videos knocking around (probably on Facebook).
    Can't make Old Crown Round so Bradwell next for me and then Langdale as my long counter.

Well done Dan, that's one place i'll move up at Old Crown Round then!!

Despite the seemingly lower turnout, the results show it was still a good standard race right down the placings.
    Last edited by Travs; 19-06-2022 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dangilbert View Post
    Only 251 ran in the men's race yesterday out of 389 entries, I know there's usually a lot of no shows but that seems particularly high?
    It was the usual mad dash at the start along the road and through the first field before a narrow gate, soon followed by another short narrow section and then the stream crossing. There didn't feel like much of a hold up where I was, probably just inside the top 100, not sure what it was like further back.

A bit high but as the year progresses the % no-shows for limited number Champs races tends to increase.

Incidentally in 2004 there were also 250 runners for the "bottleneck", although men and women still ran in the same race then. But if the race started from the stream so runners started in a long line and had a clear run up the first climb - would it make any differenc to where people seeking medals finished in their categories? I suggest it is debateable.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Was the British Champs race at Durisdeer in Scotland today.

Finlay Wild won by 7mins on a 90 minute race against a fairly strong field, and whilst i don't know the race, that appears to be another phenomenal result.

However looking at the overall results, its time for my controversial opinion of the weekend...

The English Champs are now stronger than the British Champs?

I expect this is due to obvious reasons such as more people able to commit to the races, due to less travel, even though there are more races in the English.

English Championship results after Buckden Pike
    The individual and team Championship standings following the third counter at Buckden Pike have now been calculated and the tables can be found on the Championship tab of the FRA website:
    https://www.fellrunner.org.uk/champ....-championships
    Any queries should be directed to Carlos Bedson on [email protected]

The FRA also offers our congratulations to new British fell running champion Finlay Wild from Lochaber who broke the long standing record at Buckden Pike to add to his new record at the Seven Sevens and then took first place at Durisdeer to make it a clean sweep at all three distances.
    Charmian Heaton

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Was the British Champs race at Durisdeer in Scotland today.

Finlay Wild won by 7mins on a 90 minute race against a fairly strong field, and whilst i don't know the race, that appears to be another phenomenal result.

However looking at the overall results, its time for my controversial opinion of the weekend...

The English Champs are now stronger than the British Champs?

I expect this is due to obvious reasons such as more people able to commit to the races, due to less travel, even though there are more races in the English.
    I don’t think it a particularly controversial opinion: I think it has been so for many years.

The only Brit race I did (2011 Aran Fawwdy) I just came in the points, yet doing Borrowdale in 2013 I was just inside the top 100 (not Eng Champs, but strong field). I wasn’t as fit/fast, but the quality was markedly different.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I've been doing a bit of browsing to help me decide which races to do in August. I have noticed that Llani Boy has got an entry for the English Champs short race at Bradwell (Saturday 13th), and also for Hob Hurst's race the previous evening (Friday 12th). Presumably the only reason he isn't also on the start list for Ricky's Race on Thursday 11th is that Matlock AC have given him marshalling duties.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

August for me:

Corndon Classic
    Bradwell Eng Champs
    Sedbergh Hills
    possibly the new Matterdale Horseshoe race the day before Sedbergh

Well its that time again, English Champs at the Old Crown Round.

My forecast for the Lower Borrowdale Skyline, whilst perhaps pessimistic to some, was fairly accurate... i ran well, but the competition was a bit too hot and i fell short of points.

However this weekend i feel points are up for grabs... looking like a smaller field, slightly less stacked in the vet categories (but still strong), and i know what to expect having raced there last year, and feel that i know the route options and exactly where i want to go.

Still reckon i'll need to run a pb to have any chance, but feel its more in my hands this time round, i reckon there's perhaps 10-15 scoring places up for contention if i have a good day.

Not quite so many forumites on the start list for this one... but good luck to all who do make it....
    Last edited by Travs; 19-07-2022 at 11:23 AM.

Champs races always drag you round to a good time in my experience.
    I'll be up there, planning on getting round to Moseedale road end to see the race through, then up somewhere round Lingy Hut/High Pike. Then back to pick up some bottles from the Old Crown!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy