Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Champs races 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Thanks Dan, and great write up MrB.

Whether it was just an unfortunate one today, or whether I was a bit too blasé about the conditions, I'm not sure... Perhaps a bit of both.

I'd knocked back two litres of water between 11am and the start, so felt hydrated. Didn't carry water, having nailed it last week in the heat over a similar distance race (admittedly it was considerably warmer today).

I'd certainly be more dilligent if I was to run such an intense race again in similar conditions.

GazB said something after which rings true... Longer races in the heat are easier to manage... Its the intensity that comes with the short races that does the damage.

And as Mr Fishwick also said to me at the end "its a tough sport"!
    My get out of the shit physio in Stockport introduced me to marginal gains as a method of recovery and injury management. It will work for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Years ago I tried 1,000 mile double layer socks having developed blisters on some toes when running a marathon. They had holes in them in about 100 miles, much less a thousand, and it was very difficult to stop the inner sock from bunching up. I now wear Dexshell year round - a double layer sock with a membrane in between, so really triple layered - the only downside being their price. And I use shea butter cream, Body-glide, or Pjur-active-2-skin depending on the state of my feet - usually no worse than a bit tender in places at the end of a run.
    There was a photo in a long past edition of Felleunner of a pair that had absolutely disintegrated after very little use. The owner had complained to the company and sent a copy of the photo. I think their response was that he appeared to have got them wet so the guarantee was void....

My free 1000 mile socks lasted about 3 runs, big toes went through.

Just realised i finished between rachel pilling and zanthe wray in the women's race, good outing whichever way you cut it and it's a long time since i've had that to say.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Finally some champs points today. Although from an unlikely avenue, as i hadn't really been targeting the British Champs (although i had always intended to do this one...)

15th v40, and 30th overall... ok i was at an advantage today as very familiar with the route, which is tricky in places... and it was a low turnout for a champs race, i guess due to being the final race and the southerly location.

But i well know i'm unlikely to pick up champs points at big Lake District races, the fields are just too strong for me at the moment, and i have to make it count on days like today.

Hit the first summit after about half an hour, just outside the top 20.... dropped about 9 places on the long ridge run and the off-piste descent, but this wasn't exactly unexpected.

Didn't feel that i ran spectacularly well today, just a little bit lacking in sharpness... but it was a pb by 25mins, and i held my place from Pen Y Gadair Fawr which was 1hr30 in, all the way to the finish (3hrs18), so i guess i paced it well enough.

Don't recall seeing any forumites.... JTinnion was there but haven't seen him post in a long time.

The final tables are available on the Championships page of the FRA website. Any errors get them spotted before we confirm them!

Tickets for the FRA do on 26th November are now on sale.
    A list of medal winners is planned to be available shortly
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy