Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Champs races 2022

I must confess to never having used a satnav.

A quick browse at google maps is usually enough.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Do you not hold with sat navs (or phones) Mr B?

Are you trying to maintain the aesthetic to match your classic car?
    I just don't really think this technology has anything to offer us that we don't already have.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Why would you want to find the Snake Pass? You are already on the right side of the Pennines.

Just follow the A625/A6187 out of Sheffield, signposted Hathersage, and then onto Bradwell. Also easy to get to by bus or train if you are in a saving the planet mood!
    Right, well Bradwell still isn't full so i've bobbed an entry in. If i come into sheffield on the A61 from J36, how easy is the A625 to find? It looks like i'll be on a dual carriageway ring road of some sort, is it all roundabouts or are there some restricted junctions? See you there if i make it.

The A625 is from a dirty great big roundabout off the ring road. There's a Waitrose on it. If you go north round the ring road it's a bit easier than going south, though you do have to negotiate the University roundabout - many a study session in the main library has been interrupted by the entertainment from below. Then up Eccleshall (Eccy) road, through Hunter's Bar roundabout ("he's not from San Francisco he's from Hunter's bar/I don't quite know the difference but I'm sure it's far") and straight over the Eastern Moors to Hathersage and on.
    Last edited by ba-ba; 05-08-2022 at 03:08 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I'd be more inclined to stay on the M1 until J33 and then into Sheffield Centre on the Parkway (A630) then go east/south around the inner ring road, past the railway station, Bramhall Lane, and then pick up the A625 where ba-ba suggests.
    Swings and roundabouts. Perhaps you could come one way and go home the other then you'll know the best route for next time!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'd be more inclined to stay on the M1 until J33 and then into Sheffield Centre on the Parkway (A630) then go east/south around the inner ring road, past the railway station, Bramhall Lane, and then pick up the A625 where ba-ba suggests.
    Swings and roundabouts. Perhaps you could come one way and go home the other then you'll know the best route for next time!
    Do you mean west/south? surely? I'm not following you at Bradwell. There seem to be more sliproad junctions on the A630 and it may well be quicker as the A61 looks to be riddled with traffic lights.

I'm all about fuel economy these days and i can't be stopping and starting. The Porsche has been retired and its place has been taken by a 1991 Polo Coupe GT; 1.3 multi point injection, i've ported and gasflowed the head and fitted Grp A valves, but left the cam standard- it's super ecomomical and the power curve is quite abrupt. So abrupt in fact that it's eaten the gearbox mount so i've had to upgrade it to a Golf G60 one.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    ("he's not from San Francisco he's from Hunter's bar/I don't quite know the difference but I'm sure it's far")
    You're not making any sense, must be a south yorkshire joke. The mag has rather a lot of long distance stuff in it again, i'm still interested in this ALoad of BS idea you had. If i recall correctly you offered to collate all the eccentric ramblings, and turn them into something the fussy editorial blazers at FRA HQ might like to print??

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    You're not making any sense, must be a south yorkshire joke. The mag has rather a lot of long distance stuff in it again, i'm still interested in this ALoad of BS idea you had. If i recall correctly you offered to collate all the eccentric ramblings, and turn them into something the fussy editorial blazers at FRA HQ might like to print??
    Well nothing cryptic there Mr B.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I will not be on the start line at Bradwell on Saturday now.

Two reasons, the first being memories of Alderman's Ascent last year when it was far too hot, especially for a short race and secondly, my sister, on holiday from Australia, wants me to give her a guided tour of Cadair Idris.

Not a difficult choice to make and I am already looking forward to a dip in Llyn Cau
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Sorry to hear that Llani.

I'm still clinging to hope that i might make it. After a decent run in a similarly short race last weekend, it would be my last roll of the dice for some champs points... as i imagine the lineup at Langdale in October will be pretty formidable regardless of it being the final race in the champs.

I do fancy my chances at Black Mountains in September though in the British Champs. As i mentioned a couple of pages ago, British Champs races don't seem to have quite such a deep field... and given my good knowledge of the course, and i'd expect a relatively small field for a champs race, i might be able to steal even some senior points there as well as v40.
    Last edited by Travs; 09-08-2022 at 08:50 AM.