Thread: British Fell Relays 2022

British Fell Relays 2022

Not much chatter about this on Saturday. Any comments, predictions, course knowledge, etc??

Looking forward to it, should be good. Won't know for sure until we see the teams, but:

Women's: Helm have been the dominant force of recent years, but Ambleside appear resurgent, winning the Hodgsons and may have Scout Adkin and Sarah McCormack to come in. Edinburgh Uni, HBT and Dark Peak often show well, and Black Combe have a good group so if they can get them all out will be in the mix.

Men's: Carnethy as defending champions and home-team support probably the favourites, but anything can happen. Keswick dominant force in English. British champs over the years, but often fade a bit at relays. Dark Peak probably have the power to win. Matlock, Ambleside it depends on the day and team - expect Ambleside to be missing Elkington due to a knacked ankle from Langdale. Calder Valley - depends on if they target V40 or Open. Not in the loop on Shettlestone, Ochil or HBT teams but expect some strong legs if not whole teams.

Of course we could have some unexpected crop up, like when P&B raised from the grave in 2018 to win the men's.

Might look at the V40s later.

I'm helping one commentary, basically a 'name that vest' competition. At the moment I have no knowledge of teams but will tomorrow, so I'll keep my mouth shut then!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Men V40: Calder Valley have been the dominant force in England, with Championship V40 wins as far as my cheat sheet goes back (2015). Though of course it depends on what teams they field. Ambleside, Shettleston and Borrowdale have also won V40 relays since 2010, with Dark Peak and Helm Hill often in the mix. Carnethy have won the Scottish V40 championships the last 2 years

WV40: Dark Peak have won 7 of the 8 WV40 relays I can see, Bigley, Helm Hill, Todmorden being the main challengers. Fife AC WV40s have swept up 6 of the last 7 Scottish championships (anmd were 2nd in the 2016 Luss relays) so should challenge. Helm Hill have been the strongest in the English (and British) champs in recent years, but I think Calder Valley may have won the English this year (tbc).

non-championship categories (but still prizes)
    MV50: Dark Peak have won the last 3, but Borrowdale are on the entry list (if not loading the V40 team) Carnethy, Pennine and Mercia often in the mix

WV50: Only 2 entries here, Ambleside or Dark Peak.

V60 open/Mixed - no comment will see how they play out!

Didn't Borrowdale veteran men do very well in a recent champs race (may have even been Langdale last weekend?)

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Men V40: Calder Valley have been the dominant force in England, with Championship V40 wins as far as my cheat sheet goes back (2015). Though of course it depends on what teams they field. Ambleside, Shettleston and Borrowdale have also won V40 relays since 2010, with Dark Peak and Helm Hill often in the mix. Carnethy have won the Scottish V40 championships the last 2 years

WV40: Dark Peak have won 7 of the 8 WV40 relays I can see, Bigley, Helm Hill, Todmorden being the main challengers. Fife AC WV40s have swept up 6 of the last 7 Scottish championships (anmd were 2nd in the 2016 Luss relays) so should challenge. Helm Hill have been the strongest in the English (and British) champs in recent years, but I think Calder Valley may have won the English this year (tbc).

non-championship categories (but still prizes)
    MV50: Dark Peak have won the last 3, but Borrowdale are on the entry list (if not loading the V40 team) Carnethy, Pennine and Mercia often in the mix

WV50: Only 2 entries here, Ambleside or Dark Peak.

V60 open/Mixed - no comment will see how they play out!
    That looks like the basis of an article for The Fellrunner on why teams wax and wane in the relay champs. - when it certainly is not just about having some good local runners at one particular time.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Ambleside Women do have Scout and Sarah running so with those two added to the best of the Hodgson winning team I would probably make them favourites.

Borrowdale won the Vet 40s at Hodgson but looks like they are just doing Vet 50s this weekend which is good news for me as have been drafted into Ambleside Vet 40 A team.

Dark Peak then!

Peak district teams first and second in the mens.

I hear the commentary was well received. Nice work ba-ba.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I hear the commentary was well received. Nice work ba-ba.
    some people have no taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    some people have no taste.