Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Champs races 2022

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I will not be on the start line at Bradwell on Saturday now.

Two reasons, the first being memories of Alderman's Ascent last year when it was far too hot, especially for a short race and secondly, my sister, on holiday from Australia, wants me to give her a guided tour of Cadair Idris.

Not a difficult choice to make and I am already looking forward to a dip in Llyn Cau
    I am also fairly doubtful for Bradwell now, but I will wait until I see the weather forecast on Friday before making a decision. But this sort of high-pressure system is usually stable, so I'm not expecting today's forecast of very unpleasantly hot temperatures for Saturday to change. My version of Llani's Alderman's Ascent experience was the Pen y Fan race in 2018; I felt OK during the race, but then lay down in the finish field to quietly expire, until some kind person poured cold water over me.

Unfortunately my relatives never ask me to take them up mountains, so I will probably just stay at home and try to keep cool.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Sorry to hear that Llani.

I'm still clinging to hope that i might make it. After a decent run in a similarly short race last weekend, it would be my last roll of the dice for some champs points... as i imagine the lineup at Langdale in October will be pretty formidable regardless of it being the final race in the champs.

I do fancy my chances at Black Mountains in September though in the British Champs. As i mentioned a couple of pages ago, British Champs races don't seem to have quite such a deep field... and given my good knowledge of the course, and i'd expect a relatively small field for a champs race, i might be able to steal even some senior points there as well as v40.
    If I were a contender for vet points like you are, I'd fancy my chances on Saturday. Just by lining up fully hydrated and with half a litre of water on you, you're already at a competitive advantage before you've run a step.

The info email which you may have already read states clearly that there is no kit, so who will want to burden themselves with water, which weighs in at more than full best practice kit? I reckon your rivals will be going slower than normal.

I'll pack a strip of k tape in my kitbag in case you want it, it'll reduce the pain by half and the rest of it you can just man.

Well we're looking like i'll give it a go tomorrow, as long as nothing untoward happens today with my foot.

Its healing, but not as quickly as i'd have liked, but i think with some elaborate taping up, and hopefully an inspection of the course might reveal i can run it in road shoes.

Not ideal, and if it wasn't a championship i'd not be doing it, but needs must.

Have you tried running in twin-skin socks? I find them very good for avoiding blisters.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Have you tried running in twin-skin socks? I find them very good for avoiding blisters.
    I haven't... i've just been using the old-faithful inov8 socks.

To be honest it was (hopefully) just a one-off due to a very poor choice of shoe last weekend in the heat.... i'm not a regular sufferer of blisters.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I've decided that I'm going to miss this one. If it was a course like Black Rocks, which is mostly in forest or at least shaded by trees, I would probably be prepared to run in these temperatures (30C in the latest Met Office forecast); but racing for probably more than an hour on open moorland in this scorching sun just seems too unpleasant, however well I hydrate myself. Maybe I should have gone to Ricky's Race yesterday, as that is mostly in the forest.

It's quite likely that I will be going to Singapore for a fortnight or so this Autumn. If I go running there, it will be in temperatures around 30C, but in the forested Macritchie Reservoir Park and along tree-lined streets to get there. It's cloudy for much of the time in Singapore, and if I'm lucky, I can time my runs to coincide with tropical downpours, and get a shower while I'm running as well as afterwards. Whereas most people say that they prefer dry heat to humidity, I find humid heat preferable to being scorched by the sun.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Well we're looking like i'll give it a go tomorrow, as long as nothing untoward happens today with my foot.

Its healing, but not as quickly as i'd have liked, but i think with some elaborate taping up, and hopefully an inspection of the course might reveal i can run it in road shoes.

Not ideal, and if it wasn't a championship i'd not be doing it, but needs must.
    That's the spirit, old boy. As long as it's not a pressure blister underneath your foot, a bit of tape will help noticably.

My routing through sheffield has taken a turn for the confusing. The J33 way is off because there are roadworks on the roundabout and on parkway, and some lads from rotherham that are at my work currently say i should come directly in from meadowhall. I'm coming in from J36 and going A61, A6101, A57, A6013. It can't be as simple as i'm being told it is coming from meadowhall; it looks awful.

I'm going to drench myself in bradwell brook before the start. From what i remember from alderman's, i over heated very quickly.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Years ago I tried 1,000 mile double layer socks having developed blisters on some toes when running a marathon. They had holes in them in about 100 miles, much less a thousand, and it was very difficult to stop the inner sock from bunching up. I now wear Dexshell year round - a double layer sock with a membrane in between, so really triple layered - the only downside being their price. And I use shea butter cream, Body-glide, or Pjur-active-2-skin depending on the state of my feet - usually no worse than a bit tender in places at the end of a run.

Email this evening saying they're likely to shorten the course by half a mile to take out the first bit of road/track.

Bit of a shame for me, as was hoping to use that for a fast start before hitting the climb... Without knowing the course, seems like a little more potential for a bottle-neck now going up the first climb, which in such a short race i'd prefer to avoid.

Email this evening saying they're likely to shorten the course by half a mile to take out the first bit of road/track.

Bit of a shame for me, as was hoping to use that for a fast start before hitting the climb... Without knowing the course, seems like a little more potential for a bottle-neck now going up the first climb, which in such a short race i'd prefer to avoid.
    Save it for the flat run off cp F, there's a lot of flat running on the top and people will be flagging by that stage