Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Champs races 2022

British Champs first race yesterday in NI... barely seems to have got a mention anywhere. Finlay Wild broke the record though. Going off my memory of the results, i'd be surprised if Keswick didn't take the team prize.

I think in the Ladies race Helm Hill were either 1st & 2nd individual, or 1st & 3rd, although i didn't immediately recognise the names.

Report - https://www.nimra.org.uk/index.php/w...-seven-sevens/

results and photos in the report

Well done Noel, i see you snuck in to some champs points today...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well done Noel, i see you snuck in to some champs points today...
    Thanks Travs. Yes - very pleased to score my first champs points for a few years. I think the more runnable bits suited me quite well. Let's see how Lower Borrowdale Skyline goes.

So, it is almost upon us...!

Bit of an unknown, being a relatively new race.

If i want champs points, i'm basically going to have to take on (and probably finish in front of) good forum racers such as Tindersticks and GazB, and probably even give the likes of Noel a scare... all of which is going to be a massive ask.

Which in turn means i'm going to have to go like absolute stink up the three climbs, and trust my fitness across the rest of it.

Should be a great race, good luck to all...

So, it is almost upon us...!

Bit of an unknown, being a relatively new race.

If i want champs points, i'm basically going to have to take on (and probably finish in front of) good forum racers such as Tindersticks and GazB, and probably even give the likes of Noel a scare... all of which is going to be a massive ask.

Which in turn means i'm going to have to go like absolute stink up the three climbs, and trust my fitness across the rest of it.

Should be a great race, good luck to all...
    Yes, I'm looking forward to this one. The course looks great - a very natural route.

Of course I'm not racing against youngsters like you , so hope I have a belter and you beat me by a few places.

Let's try to say hello. I'll be one of about seven Pennine men there. I see you're the only Coventry Godiva Harrier there, and the vest is red with a yellow stripe. I'll try to look out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Yes, I'm looking forward to this one. The course looks great - a very natural route.

Of course I'm not racing against youngsters like you , so hope I have a belter and you beat me by a few places.

Let's try to say hello. I'll be one of about seven Pennine men there. I see you're the only Coventry Godiva Harrier there, and the vest is red with a yellow stripe. I'll try to look out for you.
    Whilst i can't hamper your v45 placing, you do have the ability to steal a v40 place off me! Looking at recent results, i'm probably going to need a 3rd lung to get in front of you....

Yes i'll keep an eye out for you...!

See you there Travs. I'm one of a massive 44 DP entrants. My champs M50 debut! Hopefully I'll make the M50 team counters. You've got no pressure - guaranteed 1st counter! Course looks good with runnable parts. There is a huge entry, so hope that doesn't cause any congestion...

Great stuff today.

A good forum turnout... hello to Tindersticks, GazB and DanGilbert as always.... and nice to finally meet Charmian and Noel (and a brief conversation on the run with Noel's mate Wardy who pops in here from time to time). Also spied ba-ba deep in conversation at the finish. Oh yes and GeoffB out spectating on the course.

Was a challenging course, without ever really going above 1500ft. Lots of undulating running, tussocks and boggy sections, but nearly all runnable... only one real hands-on-knees climb.

The start was a bit of a muddle, and could really have done with being a quarter of a mile further down the field to give everyone time to find some natural order before the tight turns of the farmyard... instead there were 350 runners aiming at a farmyard entrance after about 20 yards.... i found myself having to take sections of the first climb a lot easier than i would have liked due to congestion, and some people who probably found themselves rather further forward than they expected at the start (not though any fault of their own).... but it was only a minor thing and soon settled down.

Once things had settled i found myself just off the group containing Noel, but your pace was too hot and after 20mins or so i decided i couldn't live with it. And that was it really... head down and work hard all the way round.... got a bit of a scare at the bottom of the last main climb when i turned round to see GazB and a number of Vet runners bearing down on me, but luckily hit the climb at the right time and was able to pull away again.

50th Vet.... missing the points by 10 places and circa 4 minutes.... however i can't be disappointed. If i'd ran badly and missed out by 4 minutes then yes i'd be pretty down, but i know that i ran well today, and finding another 4mins today just wasn't in my capabilities.

Will see what we can do at the Old Crown round in a couple of months... perhaps a slightly smaller field and some familiarity with the course will help there!

Well done Noel and Dan on your points, and i hope GazB and Tindersticks did enough to score in the v50....

Pete

Great stuff today.

A good forum turnout... hello to Tindersticks, GazB and DanGilbert as always.... and nice to finally meet Charmian and Noel (and a brief conversation on the run with Noel's mate Wardy who pops in here from time to time). Also spied ba-ba deep in conversation at the finish. Oh yes and GeoffB out spectating on the course.

Was a challenging course, without ever really going above 1500ft. Lots of undulating running, tussocks and boggy sections, but nearly all runnable... only one real hands-on-knees climb.

The start was a bit of a muddle, and could really have done with being a quarter of a mile further down the field to give everyone time to find some natural order before the tight turns of the farmyard... instead there were 350 runners aiming at a farmyard entrance after about 20 yards.... i found myself having to take sections of the first climb a lot easier than i would have liked due to congestion, and some people who probably found themselves rather further forward than they expected at the start (not though any fault of their own).... but it was only a minor thing and soon settled down.

Once things had settled i found myself just off the group containing Noel, but your pace was too hot and after 20mins or so i decided i couldn't live with it. And that was it really... head down and work hard all the way round.... got a bit of a scare at the bottom of the last main climb when i turned round to see GazB and a number of Vet runners bearing down on me, but luckily hit the climb at the right time and was able to pull away again.

50th Vet.... missing the points by 10 places and circa 4 minutes.... however i can't be disappointed. If i'd ran badly and missed out by 4 minutes then yes i'd be pretty down, but i know that i ran well today, and finding another 4mins today just wasn't in my capabilities.

Will see what we can do at the Old Crown round in a couple of months... perhaps a slightly smaller field and some familiarity with the course will help there!

Well done Noel and Dan on your points, and i hope GazB and Tindersticks did enough to score in the v50....

Pete
    Well done Pete. Found it tough but enjoyable. Blew up on the last climb up to cp8 and didn't really do much running to cp9. Happy overall though, feel like I'm getting back on track after a slow start to the year.