Only 251 ran in the men's race yesterday out of 389 entries, I know there's usually a lot of no shows but that seems particularly high?
It was the usual mad dash at the start along the road and through the first field before a narrow gate, soon followed by another short narrow section and then the stream crossing. There didn't feel like much of a hold up where I was, probably just inside the top 100, not sure what it was like further back.
After the stream it was onto the steep grassy climb and more or less on all fours for some of it before it eased into a hands on knees grind. Plenty of space by now for those dropping back or making their way up through the field after the quick start and then onto more runnable gradients and trying to convince your legs to pick up the pace again.
The final half mile or so before the turn was a fast flat run along slabs trying to hang on until the descent. At the turn I managed a quick glance at the view of (probably) Penyghent in the distance. Definitely a good spot to hang around when not in so much of a rush!
The top section of the descent was fast and grassy and I expected the usual crowd of people to come flying past me but there were only about 3 or 4 before the path levelled and then inclined slightly to meet the outward route and the steep plunge down to the stream crossing. Another 4 or 5 came past me on the steepest section making it look easy while I tottered down and crossed the stream for the last dash to the finish.
A good mix of steep and runnable and no let up all the way round as usual for a short Champs race. 80th overall and some good v45 points for me, so happy with that.
Brilliant run by Finlay, pushed much of the way by Dan Haworth I believe and breaking Colin Donnelly's record from 1988.
Great run by Hannah Russell too to win the women's. Missed it myself but I heard she looked effortless on the final section of the descent. There were plenty watching at the bottom with cameras/phones so no doubt there will be videos knocking around (probably on Facebook).
Can't make Old Crown Round so Bradwell next for me and then Langdale as my long counter.