Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FRA 50@50 race series

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    I've been struggling to come terms with that for nearly 20 years.

I think I'll be taking a similar line to you in the future though, less running and more resting appears to be the way. I'll just have to get the bike out a bit more from now on.
    You can be fairly quick on <10mpw. The bulk of your work ends up being intervals, parkruns and short sharp fartleks. That and lots of bike work.

Get your anti inflammatory lotions and salves sorted out too. Arnica, comfrey and dit da jow are my main three, but mega cissus is one I used for wrist issues a while back and may help knee meniscus problems. Comfrey can be grown in your back garden, so you lose less of the vital blueprint by processing it yourself, though I buy it tbh.

Understand too that stress can bugger you up too, and can be the primary cause of chronic pain. Stress long term alters the hormone and peptide levels in the body which keep it in the fight/flight/freeze state, under which it diverts resources away from repair. Trying to find inner peace has been fifty percent of my recovery journey. The book 'conscious medicine' by Gill Edwards has been useful to me.

Thanks Mr B, I'll give the anti-inflammatories a try. I suspect stress actually has a hand in this too. These last two years have been a very stressful time for me and went through a period of about 3 or 4 months last year where I lost weight at a ridiculous rate without any dietary changes or extra exercise. My weight dropped to it's lowest level in 30 years which it only reached once when when returning from a Himalayan mountaineering expedition. My doctor could only diagnose this as stress related after a very extensive set of tests gave everything as normal.
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head here as I've experienced some strange "injuries" this year which just seemed to appear literally overnight with no apparent cause.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Do what you like, like what you do