Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FRA 50@50 race series

The latest scores with just the Litton Christmas Cracker and the ALS left to run are available at:

https://fellrunner.org.uk/50at50.php
    Charmian Heaton

I'm gutted to have missed Litton Christmas Cracker it's a great little race and on my doorstep too. But then I was equally gutted to miss Cardington and Pendle. I've struggled all year with knee and achilles problems but the physio has told me I must stop running until after Christmas as I'm at risk of snapping the tendon. So unless I can recover in time for Auld Lang Syne it looks like I'm going to have to settle for 23 and my 50@50 is over
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    I'm gutted to have missed Litton Christmas Cracker it's a great little race and on my doorstep too. But then I was equally gutted to miss Cardington and Pendle. I've struggled all year with knee and achilles problems but the physio has told me I must stop running until after Christmas as I'm at risk of snapping the tendon. So unless I can recover in time for Auld Lang Syne it looks like I'm going to have to settle for 23 and my 50@50 is over
    Not many physios will be that blunt with you, there's probably a significant risk. I had to stop running for a year when i had hip fasciitis, and for nearly a year with articular cartilage damage, a few months is nothing. The damage you can do by buying into the myth of being able to run through injury is horrendous.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I had your glass ready on Sunday and it will be such a shame if you can't make your 24th race. Even if you just get round the ALS, it will be good to see you there. My partner Steve was told to stop running by the local physio around five years ago and then he got an appointment with Denise Park who told him that running was the best thing he could do and his depression turned to happiness in an instant. Good luck.
    Charmian Heaton

Thanks guys,
    To be fair he had kept me running through two previous rounds of physio but when I saw him last week it was so bad I couldn't even stand the pressure of the shockwave machine probe just touching it never mind actually turning the machine on. I'm having a course of treatment on it this week so we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmian View Post
    I had your glass ready on Sunday and it will be such a shame if you can't make your 24th race. Even if you just get round the ALS, it will be good to see you there.
    Thanks Charmian, I'll definitely be at ALS even if I'm not running. Thanks for the effort you've put into organising the series, I've really enjoyed it.

Thanks guys,
    To be fair he had kept me running through two previous rounds of physio but when I saw him last week it was so bad I couldn't even stand the pressure of the shockwave machine probe just touching it never mind actually turning the machine on. I'm having a course of treatment on it this week so we'll see how it goes.
    I suppose whether or not you keep running is heavily condition dependant. I've never had an injury that responded to keeping running.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I suppose whether or not you keep running is heavily condition dependant. I've never had an injury that responded to keeping running.
    To be honest I should have stopped earlier too, I think I've done more damage by keeping running. it's a long tale of woe, but I've knackered the cartilage in my left knee getting on for 10 years ago now, and it has periods when it flares up then settles down and allows me to run, but this year it's got progressively worse and I was particularly bad after the Saddleworth Round. I should have stopped at this point but did the Kings race and Eldwick gala the following week and then ran Edale Skyline with a friend the following Monday. This was a big mistake and had to stop for a while. As the pain builds in the knee my right achilles seems to get overloaded and gets painful. Generally I tend to ignore this and keep running and it goes away as the knee settles down. But since I re-started at Rivington Pike it has got progressively worse to the point where it was taking more than a week to recover, so it was time to stop and give it a rest.

To be honest I should have stopped earlier too, I think I've done more damage by keeping running. it's a long tale of woe, but I've knackered the cartilage in my left knee getting on for 10 years ago now, and it has periods when it flares up then settles down and allows me to run, but this year it's got progressively worse and I was particularly bad after the Saddleworth Round. I should have stopped at this point but did the Kings race and Eldwick gala the following week and then ran Edale Skyline with a friend the following Monday. This was a big mistake and had to stop for a while. As the pain builds in the knee my right achilles seems to get overloaded and gets painful. Generally I tend to ignore this and keep running and it goes away as the knee settles down. But since I re-started at Rivington Pike it has got progressively worse to the point where it was taking more than a week to recover, so it was time to stop and give it a rest.
    I was in a similar situation with a different injury. You have to decide whether or not to do what you need to do to recover. For me it was cutting my running down to less than 10mpw and upping my resting dramatically, i also became a student of biomechanics. You have to accept that you can no longer do what you want to do, but once you transcend this psychological barrier things get a hell of a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    You have to accept that you can no longer do what you want to do, but once you transcend this psychological barrier things get a hell of a lot better.
    I've been struggling to come terms with that for nearly 20 years.

I think I'll be taking a similar line to you in the future though, less running and more resting appears to be the way. I'll just have to get the bike out a bit more from now on.