Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Faster! Louder!

  1. #1
    Master ba-ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Captain Cook's Great Ayton
    Posts
    1,683

    Faster! Louder!

    Has anyone else read the Gary Devine book by Boff Whalley, merging 80s/90s fell running with punk Rock?

    I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing was engaging, the story and history (of Fell Running but also punk) was well done. The main take-home for me was that the Fell Running described in this book is how it attracted me in the first place, 20 years after it was set, and still attracts me to the sport. Yes there have been some changes in the last 30 years, but these are due to modern pressures (and have been handled for the most part well and tactfully); the overriding ethos and meaning of the sport remains, IMO (though maybe I'm now just a sap for the FRA ) The book did a good job of summarising my thoughts on our sport and why I love it so.

    The only 'downside' to the book for me is that it may lead to more 'in my day' talk by those past it or never had it of 'my' generation being slow, soft and lacking in characters. Trust me - there's plenty of stories of the later 2 and for the first, well classic old records are now starting to be revised.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Has anyone else read the Gary Devine book by Boff Whalley, merging 80s/90s fell running with punk Rock?

    I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing was engaging, the story and history (of Fell Running but also punk) was well done. The main take-home for me was that the Fell Running described in this book is how it attracted me in the first place, 20 years after it was set, and still attracts me to the sport. Yes there have been some changes in the last 30 years, but these are due to modern pressures (and have been handled for the most part well and tactfully); the overriding ethos and meaning of the sport remains, IMO (though maybe I'm now just a sap for the FRA ) The book did a good job of summarising my thoughts on our sport and why I love it so.

    The only 'downside' to the book for me is that it may lead to more 'in my day' talk by those past it or never had it of 'my' generation being slow, soft and lacking in characters. Trust me - there's plenty of stories of the later 2 and for the first, well classic old records are now starting to be revised.
    Yes.

    I was chatting with Gary last Saturday. I've read three of Boff's books (he actually invited me to review Run Wild for the Fellrunner) and anyone who has read Boff's first book (footnote*) would know he was always destined to write Faster! Louder! - which develops similar themes around a biography of Gary.

    It's a very good read, although perhaps a bit repetitive, particularly for those who don't know much about Gary's "chequered" history beyond fellrunning.

    Gary was and is simply one of a kind and Faster! Louder! captures the essence of the man.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 25-11-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Has anyone else read the Gary Devine book by Boff Whalley, merging 80s/90s fell running with punk Rock?

    I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The writing was engaging, the story and history (of Fell Running but also punk) was well done. The main take-home for me was that the Fell Running described in this book is how it attracted me in the first place, 20 years after it was set, and still attracts me to the sport. Yes there have been some changes in the last 30 years, but these are due to modern pressures (and have been handled for the most part well and tactfully); the overriding ethos and meaning of the sport remains, IMO (though maybe I'm now just a sap for the FRA ) The book did a good job of summarising my thoughts on our sport and why I love it so.

    The only 'downside' to the book for me is that it may lead to more 'in my day' talk by those past it or never had it of 'my' generation being slow, soft and lacking in characters. Trust me - there's plenty of stories of the later 2 and for the first, well classic old records are now starting to be revised.
    It's by my bed. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    I keep getting distracted by Call My Agent.
    Last edited by millipede; 28-11-2021 at 05:33 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    I keep getting distracted by Call My Agent.
    Truly, truly wonderful - although it went off over time and eg one episode was far too indulgent to its fading American star with an eye on selling the series to the USA. I have enjoyed many French films and some of the French "film" actresses (or female actors if you prefer) were magnificent in sending themselves up.

    The funniest series I have seen in a decade.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    937
    I'm now two thirds through Louder Faster. It's brilliant.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    I'm now two thirds through Louder Faster. It's brilliant.
    Yes. A revelation.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  7. #7
    Master molehill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rhandirmwyn
    Posts
    3,813
    I have ordered a copy as a christmas present for someone, but might have a quick read first and try not to dribble my food and drink on the pages.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I have ordered a copy as a christmas present for someone, but might have a quick read first and try not to dribble my food and drink on the pages.

    My dad actually wrote in my last birthday card in pencil so I could rub out the writing and use it again.

    I did. It was a very nice card.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    633
    Boff was seen running up the Chevin this morning! And for the first time I managed to pass him. Mind you he was going at the speed of his friend who he was chatting to.

  10. #10
    Master molehill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rhandirmwyn
    Posts
    3,813
    Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    My dad actually wrote in my last birthday card in pencil so I could rub out the writing and use it again.

    I did. It was a very nice card.
    Good to recycle 👍. But most impressed that your dad's card to you was not so rude that you could not even consider passing it on. You should see our mantelpiece at birthdays, cards should all go through the shredder.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •