Thread: Feeling the cold

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Feeling the cold

Estonian sweater*: check!
    Windprof jacket: check!
    Gloves: check!
    Woollen hat: check!
    The only thing missing was a scarf; so why was I feeling so cold?

On Saturday mornings when I haven’t got anything else on, I cycle down to the open-air market in the town centre for a bit of food shopping. It’s no more than 2 miles each way, so not far enough to work up a sweat. But today, almost from the outset, I felt weak and shivery. I managed all my errands, including a diversion to the Royal Mail sorting office to pick up some items that they hadn’t been able to deliver earlier in the week (one of which was the book of Pete Hartley’s fell-running pictures). When I got home, I just lay down in bed with a hot drink for half an hour.

I have a reputation in my family as someone who doesn’t mind the cold; although in fell races I am usually one of the most heavily dressed runners in the field. But I have never felt like this before (except when I have had flu, but I haven’t got any other flu symptoms at the moment). The Beatles didn’t say anything about feeling the cold, and anyway, I haven’t reached 64 yet. So what’s going on?

* Bought in Tallinn in 1999; one of my thickest woollen sweaters.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    I'm fairly sure that it is flu now: headache, general feeling of tiredness/weakness. Rather annoyingly, I phoned my GP practice about a week ago to ask for a flu vaccination, and was told that they were waiting for another batch of vaccine, and would text me when it arrived. I haven't heard anything from them.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Here's hoping that you shake it off quickly AK.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I'm fairly sure that it is flu now: headache, general feeling of tiredness/weakness. Rather annoyingly, I phoned my GP practice about a week ago to ask for a flu vaccination, and was told that they were waiting for another batch of vaccine, and would text me when it arrived. I haven't heard anything from them.
    I had my flu vaccination about a month ago. Booked online through Lloyds chemist.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    And do make sure to get a PCR test

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Here's hoping that you shake it off quickly AK.
    Thanks Llani, I'm already feeling a lot better this morning; although I'm definitely not going to try doing anything strenuous.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Well, the flu symptoms have disappeared, and been replaced by . . . cellulitis. The bacteria must have sneaked in while my immune system was busy dealing with the flu virus (I'm sure Mike T can give a more scientific explanation ). I started feeling some mild pain in my left foot yesterday afternoon, but it wasn't until late evening that I realised that it was swollen and had red blotches. Anyway, I'm now waiting for a return call from the GP practice after I phoned them this morning and then emailed them a photo of the foot, as they requested.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Well, the flu symptoms have disappeared, and been replaced by . . . cellulitis. The bacteria must have sneaked in while my immune system was busy dealing with the flu virus (I'm sure Mike T can give a more scientific explanation ). I started feeling some mild pain in my left foot yesterday afternoon, but it wasn't until late evening that I realised that it was swollen and had red blotches. Anyway, I'm now waiting for a return call from the GP practice after I phoned them this morning and then emailed them a photo of the foot, as they requested.
    Assuming the diagnosis of cellulitis is correct, then Occam's razor tells us that we should not make two diagnoses when one will do - the bug causing cellulitis has been triggering your immune system to release substances that have made you feel unwell for a few days, but only now has the site of this immune stimulation become obvious. Hopefully you will very soon be on an effective antibiotic. Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Mike T; 30-11-2021 at 08:40 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Assuming the diagnosis of cellulitis is correct, then Occam's razor tells us that we should not make two diagnoses when one will do - the bug causing cellulitis has been triggering your immune system to release substances that have made you feel unwell for a few days, but only now has the site of this immune stimulation become obvious. Hopefully you will very soon be on an affective antibiotic. Good luck with it.
    Yes, I suppose that makes sense. I have had cellulitis many times before (around 15 times), and usually I notice pain and/or swelling/redness in the foot before I start feeling groggy (if I get to feel groggy at all). But I do remember one previous occasion when I had flu symptoms, which receded, and only then were there any symptoms in the foot.

Anyway, I've got my flucloxacillin now, although I'm not sure why the GP has prescribed 14 days' supply; I usually get 7 days (4 x 500mg each day).
    Jorge Luis Borges