Thread: Shoes that stick to wet rock!

Shoes that stick to wet rock!

Anyone tried these?

INOV8 X-TALON ULTRA 260 V2 TRAIL?

I am currently in scott trail 2.0s which are great on mud etc but rubbish on wet rock. Was looking at some of the VJs but very few seem to be in stock at present. I was after something not too lightweight or particularly with a low drop as I get achilles issues.
    Out in the peak district this morning, some of the flagged sections were rather slippy! Was after a new shoe that will cope with wet rock section better than the scott. The feedback on scott is that they are good shoes but all are poor on wet rock. The Xtalons have deep lugs as well but INOV8 state they will stick to wet rock - anyone with any info appreciated. Not tied to a brand just something less deadly.

I found X-Talons to be the worst shoes I’ve ever used on wet rock!
    Great on mud and grass, but hopeless on wet rock. Not tried the X-Talon Ultra though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    I found X-Talons to be the worst shoes I’ve ever used on wet rock!
    Great on mud and grass, but hopeless on wet rock. Not tried the X-Talon Ultra though.
    Does anything "stick" to wet rock? My favourite shoe in the current conditions is the X-Talon 255 - same sole as the 260 I believe - but I just assume it will slip on wet rock and adjust my pace and where I put my feet accordingly. I can see that on some flagged sections the "off piste" options are limited and slow.

Yeah i wouldn't bank on anything giving totally reliable grip on wet rock, its just not a surface that goes hand-in-hand with grippy running...

The best shoe i've ever had on rock (dry and wet) is the La Sportiva Bushido.... but whilst it is a superbly made shoe, it is definitely not a fell shoe.

Popular opinion does seem to be that VJ provides the best wet rock grip out of the bona-fide fell shoes. I don't think there's much between Inov8/VJ/Scott on wet rock myself.
    Last edited by Travs; 18-12-2021 at 06:47 PM.

If you're looking for comfort, not too low a drop, then don't discount the Scott Supertrac RC Ultra... i know they're marketed as an Ultra/Trail shoe, but i've used them in races quite happily, in all but the worst conditions (in fact i ran a whole summer fell season in them). Great shoes, comfortable, good grip, no worse than anything else on wet rock, and reliable in all but the wettest/muddiest/steepest conditions.

Thanks all, I reckon nothing will be that great as wet slimy rock is just that. The scotts have had a few reports as not being so good on wet rock but were fine through the slightly drier parts of the year. I suppose its a good excuse to try something different as well. VJ Maxx seem to be in stock as does VJ Sparks both different to each other.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I doubt there's any shoe that good on wet rock but I'd usually go for my mudclaw (classic) we just edges out the VJ xtrm imho
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I recall a web page from many moons previous which was written by Jon broxap. In it he stated that walshes are known for being good on wet rock. Not many go for the Walsh these days, but they are very good.

I've got a pair of these new-fangled X-Talon Graphene shoes... anyone who's seen the Pete Bland van this year, they are the bright blue ones. Only used them for XC so far, but should get a stern test at Callow tomorrow.

Not a lot of rock though, but plenty of steep, greasy grass.