Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good all-round shoe?

Good all-round shoe?

Most of my regular runs involve a mixture of road, trail, grass/mud and some rock.

I've worn Walshes for years but the road wears the studs out fast.

I appreciate an all-round shoe will be a compromise, but I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

You can't really get an allround shoe, but you can get walshes resoled at LSR and just circulate several pairs. It's cheaper than new shoes every time.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    You can't really get an allround shoe, but you can get walshes resoled at LSR and just circulate several pairs. It's cheaper than new shoes every time.
    Cheers - I didn't know that.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I doubt such a shoe exists but if I had to pick from my plethora of footwear, I'd plump for the inov-8 trailroc. Enough cushioning to cope with the road and some hard-pack trail but would be sadly lacking in the grip on softer ground.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Again i'd agree with the posts above that there is no such thing... but as i mentioned on the very thread below, Scott Supertrac RC Ultra would be my vote... i won't repeat everything i said so just check that thread.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess my ideal is something like Walshes but with a longer-lasting sole.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Again i'd agree with the posts above that there is no such thing... but as i mentioned on the very thread below, Scott Supertrac RC Ultra would be my vote... i won't repeat everything i said so just check that thread.
    I see they have supertrac 2.0 on offer at Sportshoes.com (although only in some sizes). I've ordered a pair, so will provide feedback if I remember once I've run them in a bit. This guy thinks they're OK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sU0akIZuxo

He's concerned they're too rigid, but that sounds good for me - I get sore feet with shoes that are too minimal.

Worth noting that those in the video are the RC Supertrac Ultra.

The RC Supertrac (non ultra) are more like proper fell shoes and have a totally different sole pattern and general build.

I must admit i didn't get on brilliantly with the pure fell shoe (although given their popularity at fell races i must be in the minority), but found the Ultra version to be excellent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Most of my regular runs involve a mixture of road, trail, grass/mud and some rock.

I've worn Walshes for years but the road wears the studs out fast.

I appreciate an all-round shoe will be a compromise, but I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.
    If you are looking for a true all rounder then a look at these may be worth while :-

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/ne...foam-hierro-v6

I cover an average of between 70-100 mile a week wearing these to good effect even when fastpacking over a few days with kit on my back, ok they are not fashionable and they may be considered a little heavy in this day and age, but they do what they are designed for, which is an all round shoe and not a racing shoe . As I say they suit my needs admirably and the Vibram sole is comparably long lived ,

Good luck in your search
    Last edited by JohnK; 24-12-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    If you are looking for a true all rounder then a look at these may be worth while :-

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/ne...foam-hierro-v6

I cover an average of between 70-100 mile a week wearing these to good effect even when fastpacking over a few days with kit on my back, ok they are not fashionable and they may be considered a little heavy in this day and age, but they do what they are designed for, which is an all round shoe and not a racing shoe . As I say they suit my needs admirably and the Vibram sole is comparably long lived ,

Good luck in your search
    Cheers mate.