Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good all-round shoe?

I've found Inov8 roclites to be the best jack of all trades master of none. The previous version were best IMO, but the current model is pretty close.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Again i'd agree with the posts above that there is no such thing... but as i mentioned on the very thread below, Scott Supertrac RC Ultra would be my vote... i won't repeat everything i said so just check that thread.
    I think that the Scott Supertrac Ultra RC is a great all round shoe unless you find yourself on very tussocky uneven ground where it tends to roll a bit. It is my favourite training shoe.

The Scott Kinabalu Ultra RC is much better on the above mentioned ground but does not have as much cushioning. It is my favourite race shoe.

Although they have slightly different tread patterns both have great all round grip apart from very wet and muddy terrain where inov8 Mudclaw's are king.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm leaning towards a pair of inov8 X-talon.

Can I ask for some pointers re sizing?

I take an 8 in a Walsh pb trainer, and have an old pair of Inov8 flyrocs in a 7.5.

Will be ordering online.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm leaning towards a pair of inov8 X-talon.

Can I ask for some pointers re sizing?

I take an 8 in a Walsh pb trainer, and have an old pair of Inov8 flyrocs in a 7.5.

Will be ordering online.
    Which X-Talon? They vary considerably in width - I like the 255s - the 235s are too narrow for me. Are you sure there is no retailer near you?

The 212v2.

I live near Sheffield but shops there don't seem to have any stock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    The 212v2.

I live near Sheffield but shops there don't seem to have any stock.
    One of their narrowest shoes - lucky you if they fit! I had a pair years ago, but they had to be far too long to be wide enough - clown shoes.

No

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    One of their narrowest shoes - lucky you if they fit! I had a pair years ago, but they had to be far too long to be wide enough - clown shoes.
    Thanks for the tip.

The Scott supertrac non ultra 2 are still on offer at blands. I think they maybe worth a try.

Got a pair of supertracs for 70 notes from blands, went out in them today. As soon as I went for the clutch pedal in the car I knew they had a really stiff outsole, I generally prefer the x-talon minimal outsole. You can't feel a lot through the supertracs sole, they are a bit like clogs to me. The upper is very stiff too, and won't be persuaded into position if you have narrow feet and need to clamp down the laces. Whether or not they grip will have to wait until my ankle heals. The heel cup is also very bulky, and may suit anyone who gets heel blisters as there is a hell of a lot of padding.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Got a pair of supertracs for 70 notes from blands, went out in them today. As soon as I went for the clutch pedal in the car I knew they had a really stiff outsole, I generally prefer the x-talon minimal outsole. You can't feel a lot through the supertracs sole, they are a bit like clogs to me. The upper is very stiff too, and won't be persuaded into position if you have narrow feet and need to clamp down the laces. Whether or not they grip will have to wait until my ankle heals. The heel cup is also very bulky, and may suit anyone who gets heel blisters as there is a hell of a lot of padding.
    Worth a mention that i wore the Supertracs for runners and riders at the weekend, and they felt like a really solid and grippy shoe on the steep descent into Dib gill. I was surprised that i didn't have to back off. They are however, a bit slippy on wet rock, and the dips round your ankle bone are definitely too high. In fact the whole heel cup rim could do with dropping 5-10mm.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent