Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-talon ultra 260

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

X-talon ultra 260

Anyone tried the X-TALON ULTRA 260?
    Some bargains around and I could do with a replacement for my mudclaws that died after Callow at the weekend.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Aren't these basically the X-claw rebranded? Effectively a cushioned x-talon... (apologies, i've tried neither!)

Yes looks like it. I used to have some X-talon 212s which were good but lacked a bit of cushioning so hoping these might fit the bill.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I've just got a pair of the graphene XTalons (wore them at Callow and was impressed).... But yes cushioning is minimal!

My feet need some cushioning these days. I've just bought a pair so will post a review when I get to try them in earnest.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I see Dave aka fell running guide has done a review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHViyQSuy0

Pete, what I'd like to know is: how long do the studs last? I've fallen out a bit with inov-8s recently as their studs tend to wear down too quickly relative to other shoes such as VJ irocs.

Shoes arrived today. First impressions are very favourable. Much more supportive than a straight X-talon and the stud pattern is completely different - heading more towards the mudclaw with some bigger central studs. Good thick rand which should offer some protection and they are very roomy in the toe box whilst being nice and snug in the heel and midfoot. Seem to have adequate cushioning and don't feel too dissimilar from the trailroc in that respect.
    A bit soon to answer Noel's query but the soles are not graphene and made from the same sticky rubber as the mudclaws so I would assume similar wear and tear there. My last 2 mudclaws lasted reasonably well - lost studs on the first but the latest ones went in the bin when the sole came away from the upper at the toes. We'll see how well these last...
    Last edited by PeteS; 29-12-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I reckon the way you run has a big bearing on shoe wear. When I was running in LSR-talons, I could have resoled them a second time with no issues with the uppers.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Shoes arrived today. First impressions are very favourable. Much more supportive than a straight X-talon and the stud pattern is completely different - heading more towards the mudclaw with some bigger central studs. Good thick rand which should offer some protection and they are very roomy in the toe box whilst being nice and snug in the heel and midfoot. Seem to have adequate cushioning and don't feel too dissimilar from the trailroc in that respect.
    A bit soon to answer Noel's query but the soles are not graphene and made from the same sticky rubber as the mudclaws so I would assume similar wear and tear there. My last 2 mudclaws lasted reasonably well - lost studs on the first but the latest ones went in the bin when the sole came away from the upper at the toes. We'll see how well these last...
    I'd be interested to know how you get on Pete - are these the XT Ultra 260 mk II? They haven't been out long and I'm intrigued to know if they have improved on the mk I which, as was mentioned earlier, is a rehash of the original X-Claw 275 (the sole is identical btw). I've got through about four pairs of the X-Claws and am on my 5th pair of Ultra 260s, but that doesn't really tell the story of what I think is a flawed shoe - the 260 mk I has a sloppy and loose heel that's cut very high, awful for contouring. I buy them because the accommodate my fat feet and the lightweight orthotic I'm obliged to wear, but am hoping the mk II has addressed these issues.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I'd be interested to know how you get on Pete - are these the XT Ultra 260 mk II? They haven't been out long and I'm intrigued to know if they have improved on the mk I which, as was mentioned earlier, is a rehash of the original X-Claw 275 (the sole is identical btw). I've got through about four pairs of the X-Claws and am on my 5th pair of Ultra 260s, but that doesn't really tell the story of what I think is a flawed shoe - the 260 mk I has a sloppy and loose heel that's cut very high, awful for contouring. I buy them because the accommodate my fat feet and the lightweight orthotic I'm obliged to wear, but am hoping the mk II has addressed these issues.
    I also got through several pairs of 275s - very comfortable, but they had a habit of the upper and the sole parting company quite suddenly when on the fells. I had a couple of pairs of the initial 260s, but they were a bit tight in the forefoot for me. My current favourite is the 255 - just that bit softer on the outside of my little toes. I have 3 pairs at various stages of wear.