Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We will finally buy a TV

We will finally buy a TV

Been since 2013 without TV. Will finally buy one. We were happy to be without, in order to facilitate family life, but in reality smartphones are killing it, hopefully a TV will gather the family and facilitate spending time together and making small talks.

Never had a flat TV, only cathode one.
    Of course it must have wireless internet connectivity (do they all have these days?)
    Not bothered with blabla whatever resolution.
    What to look for? Does it make sense to buy used on eBay?

We lived a very pleasant 20 years without one (before social media and internet as well 😱.
    The last 10 years we have a TV, it mainly sits in the corner like some unused furniture, but on long winter nights it is quite nice to try and find somethig to watch as a change from reading books.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

As a previous post on this forum: If you click through all the channels and think 'They can't all be rubbish, surely'. Don't bother clicking through them again.
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I have never bought a TV.

After my mother died, some of my other family members decided that I should have her old TV; it wasn't right that I was living without one. A few years later, I married a lady who had previously worked in a TV factory, so she was in charge of TV purchases from then on.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Any smart TV will do. They are often going cheap in Aldi. Minimum size 32 inch. Around 50 inch is ideal. Should find something for around £300. Agreed, ignore all the pixel resolution blah blah. Any known make will do just fine. I got a 50 inch Sharp from Aldi and its been great.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks for the comments about size.
    For the record: we'll be sitting 3.5m from it.
    Is it reasonable to expect it'll last 15-20yr like the good old cathode ones?
    Does it become obsolete like pc and smartphone where manufacturers on purpose force you cheekily to upgrade hardware because otherwise no longer compatible with blabla stuff you neither need nor want but they still force you to have...?

We bought a monitor (27inch HD etc…) and an Amazon Fire Stick last year after being 18 years without a TV.
    Play the sound through my separate system and it is great.
    The advantage of using the fire stick rather than a TV is that we can pick and choose what to watch rather than just ‘16 channels of shit on the TV to choose from’

My family never had a TV growing up. I'm sure I've told you this before. I used to visit my friend's house to watch Dynasty.

I was always highly embarrassed about it and never told anyone at primary school. I did read a lot of books. Many times over.

Then after I left home they got one.

Do all TV one can buy new today have wi-fi?

Our house does not even have an antenna on the roof. Nor satellite dish. There are cables ready to add an antenna, but maybe with wi-fi we don't even need the antenna... do we...?

I understand WiFi has a bandwidth limit, but we watch videos already on the laptop, and I measured 58Mbs on my smartphone, so bandwidth should be ok