Thread: Kinder Downfall date change: 17th

Kinder Downfall date change: 17th

The Kinder Downfall will now be on Sunday the 17th April.
    Entries are open on Fabian 4.
    Will Meredith - Pennine

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    The Kinder Downfall will now be on Sunday the 17th April.
    Entries are open on Fabian 4.
    And, weather wise, what a fantastic date change it turned out to be!

A good turnout of 267 runners set off on a bright and breezy morning from the bridge in the centre of Hayfield and headed up The Snake Path. After dropping down White Brow a mainly single file of runners then snaked its way up a very warm William Clough and once at the top turned right and up to Sandy Heys into a welcoming cool breeze. Along the edge of Kinder to the Downfall and then skirting Kinder Low and Swine's Back, down to Edale Cross.

Down into and across Oaken Clough before some fast running over a series of fields back down into the Kinder Valley. A fast final mile of tarmac on heavy legs to the finish in the delightful Hayfield Rec.

The race was won by Steve Vernon in 1:06:33 who led a trio of Stockport Harriers to the first three places. Caroline Brock of Steel City Striders was 1st Lady and 52nd O/A in 1:29:15

This was my first run in the race which I thoroughly enjoyed and was pleased to get around in 69th place and 2nd MV60 in 1:33:52. This very well organised and marshalled event contributed to a great day out.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 18-04-2022 at 10:14 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    And, weather wise, what a fantastic date change it turned out to be!

A good turnout of 267 runners set off on a bright and breezy morning from the bridge in the centre of Hayfield and headed up The Snake Path. After dropping down White Brow a mainly single file of runners then snaked its way up a very warm William Clough and once at the top turned right and up to Sandy Heys into a welcoming cool breeze. Along the edge of Kinder to the Downfall and then skirting Kinder Low and Swine's Back, down to Edale Cross.

Down into and across Oaken Clough before some fast running over a series of fields back down into the Kinder Valley. A fast final mile of tarmac on heavy legs to the finish in the delightful Hayfield Rec.

The race was won by Steve Vernon in 1:06:33 who led a trio of Stockport Harriers to the first three places. Caroline Brock of Steel City Striders was 1st Lady and 52nd O/A in 1:29:15

This was my first run in the race which I thoroughly enjoyed and was pleased to get around in 69th place and 2nd MV60 in 1:33:52. This very well organised and marshalled event contributed to a great day out.
    I always liked the Downfall but never, say, Kinder Trog, and I remember that the year I was first V65 I felt as though I could run forever. But then I always loved Three Shires and hated Langdale.

The reasons were no doubt to do with the balance between the unique challenges of each course and my skill-sets, but I like to think it was part of the intriguing mystery of fell running.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I always liked the Downfall but never, say, Kinder Trog, and I remember that the year I was first V65 I felt as though I could run forever. But then I always loved Three Shires and hated Langdale.

The reasons were no doubt to do with the balance between the unique challenges of each course and my skill-sets, but I like to think it was part of the intriguing mystery of fell running.
    Indeed Graham.

Although I enjoyed Sundays race I am never comfortable racing along the edge either side of Kinder Downfall which ever direction I am going in. The penny dropped when I read ba-ba's interview in The Fellrunner when he mentioned that Kinder Downfall was his favourite medium race and said " the stones on the edge seem to suit my stride". He was 8th on Sunday.

Being a short arse, the stones on the edge certainly don't suit my stride!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

They were the best conditions in which I've ever run this race. My fuel tank emptied when I hit the road before the finish, at which point I belatedly downed my gel as I was forced to walk. I was convinced my 2 hours dead would have been (yet) another PW but was surprised to discover upon checking my records that I was 1 min 18 secs slower in 2013. Further investigation reminded me that I had run the 37-mile Calderdale Hike the day before.

Photos up, round and back can be seen here.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Indeed Graham.

Although I enjoyed Sundays race I am never comfortable racing along the edge either side of Kinder Downfall which ever direction I am going in. The penny dropped when I read ba-ba's interview in The Fellrunner when he mentioned that Kinder Downfall was his favourite medium race and said " the stones on the edge seem to suit my stride". He was 8th on Sunday.

Being a short arse, the stones on the edge certainly don't suit my stride!
    I was also 5mins slower than my best. The fact I've now got a stinking cold may have contributed to that!
    It's one of those paths that can sap time without you knowing it - more so when it was at the end of trigger/HPM, but ability to flow over the rocks is definitely worth time on Downfall. I once went from ~8th at Ashop Head to 2nd by Kinder Low, despite feeling not on top form, just because I knew I could get over the rocks well. Didn't quite have that flow on Sunday.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    There has been quite a lot of publicity this weekend about the 90th anniversary of the Kinder Trespass. Some forumites may not be aware that, after the first two Kinder Downfall races were held in June, the date was moved to April in 1982 so that the race could be part of the 50th anniversary celebrations. I was there!

[For some reason, after running the first three races, I haven't managed to do the Kinder Downfall race since 1982. I did have one failed attempt to get to Hayfield for the race; but that's another story.]
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I think that the date change this year was to avoid clashing with the events. I remember the 2016 race there was a trespass-linked walk going up William Clough as we came through - respectfully of course! A walker got a bit uppity and said 'this is a footpath!' so I informed him that we were, indeed, on foot.
    Given that I was only the 4th person to pass them, I wonder how they got on with the rest of the field coming through!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I think that the date change this year was to avoid clashing with the events. I remember the 2016 race there was a trespass-linked walk going up William Clough as we came through - respectfully of course! A walker got a bit uppity and said 'this is a footpath!' so I informed him that we were, indeed, on foot.
    Given that I was only the 4th person to pass them, I wonder how they got on with the rest of the field coming through!
    Subdued into silence by the time the 205th runner came past - with another 50 behind him!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    There has been quite a lot of publicity this weekend about the 90th anniversary of the Kinder Trespass. Some forumites may not be aware that, after the first two Kinder Downfall races were held in June, the date was moved to April in 1982 so that the race could be part of the 50th anniversary celebrations. I was there!

[For some reason, after running the first three races, I haven't managed to do the Kinder Downfall race since 1982. I did have one failed attempt to get to Hayfield for the race; but that's another story.]
    Thanks for mentioning it, I didn't realise that. I was originally planning to run the Downfall on the 24th but was contacted by the person who was organising the trespass celebration in Hayfield who was concerned about the numbers of people in the village.
    I suggested that the Downfall should be included as part of the trespass celebration but in a council meeting people decided against it apparently due to concerns about congestion.
    I was a bit annoyed with it at the time but in retrospect it was probably for the best as Kinder and William Clough were absolutely chock a block on the 24th.
    Glad people enjoyed the race though and thanks to all who came.
    It was really great to see 2 mu23 runners in 2nd 3rd place. Just need some fu23s next year.