Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New FRA Website

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Where is the link to all the past issues of the Fellrunner magazine (so carefully scanned by Graham Breeze, I believe)?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Where is the link to all the past issues of the Fellrunner magazine (so carefully scanned by Graham Breeze, I believe)?
    In the library
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    In the library
    Thank you, it's even more hidden than the Forum!
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Reactionary though I may be, I do think replacing a fern for an actual runner seems right given the accompanying words and that the FRA is primarily about fell racing.
    The new logo was introduced in 2020 as part of the 50th anniversary initiatives and has been in use ever since.
    Have some folk only just noticed? :-)
    Charmian Heaton

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Reactionary though I may be, I do think replacing a fern for an actual runner seems right given the accompanying words and that the FRA is primarily about fell racing.
    Looks like they took some inspiration from the English Hill Runners logo
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Charmian View Post
    The new logo was introduced in 2020 as part of the 50th anniversary initiatives and has been in use ever since.
    Have some folk only just noticed? :-)
    No, I noticed when it came out and hoped it was a temporary thing for the anniversary. If I wasn't a life member Id probably have been off to the Scottish HRA.
    Graham - I accept that the new logo shows a runner rather than a fern but for those like you and me, who can actually read, I suspect the meaning was clear in the name...
    By the way is the runner in the new logo wearing very short shorts or a micro miniskirt?

Master
    Yes the website leaves a little to be desired as far as user friendliness goes, maybe it is intended that the use of the website will be a exercise in navigation
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Graham - I accept that the new logo shows a runner rather than a fern but for those like you and me, who can actually read, I suspect the meaning was clear in the name...
    Presumably removing the fern from the logo was an attempt to dispel the myth that fell running is mainly about hacking through deep bracken. That is a myth, isn't it . . . ?
    Jorge Luis Borges

I just wish that fewer people thought newer, modern, different, trendier etc etc = better! It rarely ever is.
    And do people realise that a 5p increase in the cost of petrol is a whopping 5 shillings per gallon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I just wish that fewer people thought newer, modern, different, trendier etc etc = better! It rarely ever is.
    And do people realise that a 5p increase in the cost of petrol is a whopping 5 shillings per gallon?
    Which prompts me to recall an exchange in The Magnificent Ambersons - a wonderful book by Booth Tarkington and a masterful film directed and scripted by Orson Welles - at a dinner between two characters George, and Eugene who builds early automobiles.

GEORGE: I said automobiles were a nuisance. They’ll never amount to anything but a nuisance. They had no business to be invented.

EUGENE (laughing): I’m not sure George is wrong about automobiles. With all their speed forward they may be a step backward in civilization. It may be that they won’t add to the beauty of the world, nor to the life of men’s souls. I am not sure. But automobiles have come, and almost all outward things are going to be different because of what they bring. They’re going to alter war, and they’re going to alter peace. I think men’s minds are going to be changed in subtle ways because of automobiles. And it may be that George is right. It may be that ten or twenty years from now, if we can see the inward change in men by that time, I shouldn’t be able to defend the gasoline engine, but would have to agree with him that automobiles “had no business to be invented” (politely takes leave)

~~~

What I always think is so marvellous about the speech is that, in essence, it was written in 1918.

And how do we now view the "gasoline engine"?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".