Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First, last and everything

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    3) pre-2014 Rab MM. low key and just score courses.
    Oh yes, I liked those too. Ran it solo once and that added an extra dimension to the weekends navigation. The Highlander MM is much missed in my house also.

1) Round Hill Fell Race July 2008. Though I had done a lot of running over the hills for years I was late to racing - 51yr old virgin.
    2)Rombalds Romp last October, and did Rombalds Stride earlier this month (Nearly a fell race)
    3) Like others - Jura, for so many reasons. Locally I was very impressed with Black Fell (Wharfedale to Nidderdale and back)

Agree with Llani - I very much enjoyed the Warslow Beer Festival race.

1) First: probably one of the junior races at Rusland Show (South Lakes) sometime around 1969/1970. Think I was 11 and running in the U13 race.
    2) Last: Auld Lang Syne 2009 from what I can recall. My hip started playing up around that time.
    3) Probably Borrowdale
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    1) First: probably one of the junior races at Rusland Show (South Lakes) sometime around 1969/1970. Think I was 11 and running in the U13 race.
    2) Last: Auld Lang Syne 2009 from what I can recall. My hip started playing up around that time.
    3) Probably Borrowdale
    Damn! Someone who has an even earlier first race than mine. But I still have the longest interval between first and last races.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Damn! Someone who has an even earlier first race than mine. But I still have the longest interval between first and last races.
    Mmmh. I am wondering if I can claim school cross country races over the Royal St Georges golf links (of Ian Fleming and Goldfinger fame) and associated sand dunes at Sandwich in 1961?

The school course was certainly tougher than some so called "fell" races I have run!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

1. The Tavern 2009

2. FRA relays 2011 - The classic 'one race too many', but still managed to finish (somehow) without losing too much time or too many places

3. Llantysilio Mountain Race - only because it was the race that I first saw, and consequently got me into the sport. Entries are now open for the 2022 race, BTW, which is on 19th March - see SiEntries. (I do declare that I have no involvement with the organisation of the race!)

Unlike Anthony, I am hopeful of claiming the shortest interval between first and last races.

1. Hellifield Gala, 1987 (give or take year).
    2. Cardington Cracker, Dec 2021.
    3. Tough decision, but if I have to pick one, Buttermere Sailbeck.

1. Dovedale Dash 1987 or at least I thought it was until I discovered it's not actually classified as a fell race some 20 years later!
    2. Auld Lang Syne 2021 and I thought at the time it might be my last but...seeing some glimmers of hope!
    3. Borrowdale: the definitive fell race imo
    Do what you like, like what you do

1. Rivington around 2005
    2. The Stan Bradshaw just before lockdown in March 2020.
    3. Anniversary Waltz for a few reasons.
    The story behind the race around Steve and Wynn, that my wife and I stayed up there and ran the race on our silver wedding, and that my daughter won it when she was 18 on her first AM, and that it is just the most wonderful venue and route I can imagine.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    1. Dovedale Dash 1987 or at least I thought it was until I discovered it's not actually classified as a fell race some 20 years later!
    2. Auld Lang Syne 2021 and I thought at the time it might be my last but...seeing some glimmers of hope!
    3. Borrowdale: the definitive fell race imo
    The Dovedale Dash was organised by a cycling club from Derby back then, of which I'd been a member, so it's doubtful they would have even known what a fell race was. I almost ended up marshalling at the 1986 race; my life might have gone slightly differently if I had of done ...